Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feb 4 1944, William Lowry. Minister for home affairs.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Feb 4 1944, William Lowry. Minister for home affairs.

"Irish News" article from this date.."Orange Hall Sparks Stormont Row".
    When it was stated yesterday that an Orange Hall at Portrush (Co Antrim) had been used to celebrate Mass for American soldiers, the minister of home affairs made the interjection: "Preparations are being made to have the hall fumigated". Wasnt that long ago...
    Makes me think with the street (Fleg) protests, the 12th marches coming up, have mindsets changed that much???

Politics.ie Member Tommythesash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The irony here is that Orange halls in America and Canada are often used as venues for Catholics to celebrate First Holy Communions. I know this because I attended one in Toronto a few years ago. The bigotry rarely extends outside Ireland.
    I'm Ulster 'til I die.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nothing to see here. It’s only the thuggish KKK of Ireland hanging out their finest colours. Twentyfirst century myhole.

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He was misunderstood.

http://archive.catholicherald.co.uk/...lt-to-the-mass

Now Mr. Lowry has apologised to the Bishop of Derry, withdrawing the offensive words and stating he was misunderstood. A few days before his protest on behalf of the Archbishop of New York, the Bishop of Derry spoke strongly to the Deny Catholic Registration Association on another aspect of the official anti-Catholic regime.
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Only a few years after McQuaid described Jews, Commies, Masons and protestants as "agents of Satan".

Those were supposedly the "good old days"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It kind of ruins that old saying " as rare as holy water in an orange hall/lodge" .Look at it another way the local Portrush lodge obviously permitted access.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    Nothing to see here. It’s only the thuggish KKK of Ireland hanging out their finest colours. Twentyfirst century myhole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommythesash View Post
    The irony here is that Orange halls in America and Canada are often used as venues for Catholics to celebrate First Holy Communions. I know this because I attended one in Toronto a few years ago. The bigotry rarely extends outside Ireland.
    Is the a Canada St in Lenadoon ?
    Even with the usual caveats attached to opinion polls, a 65% to 17% majority for Northern Ireland remaining in the UK suggests little room for doubt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedCloud View Post
    Is there a Canada St in Lenadoon ?
    Sorted that for you Heinzey.
    I was danderin' past Belfast City Hall.............................................. ...........

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gako View Post
    "Irish News" article from this date.."Orange Hall Sparks Stormont Row".
    When it was stated yesterday that an Orange Hall at Portrush (Co Antrim) had been used to celebrate Mass for American soldiers, the minister of home affairs made the interjection: "Preparations are being made to have the hall fumigated". Wasnt that long ago...
    Makes me think with the street (Fleg) protests, the 12th marches coming up, have mindsets changed that much???
    William Lowry was later the head of the Northern Ireland judiciary - a position later held by his son, Robert Lowry who was a personal friend of Conor Cruise O'Brien.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast