Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you want a United Ireland?

Default Do you want a United Ireland?

If so, why? Is this wish sentimental, romantic or economic in nature?

If not, why not? Are you against it or do you even care?

I'm trying to make up my mind myself

Not really on my radar of priorities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Depends what's on offer.

An extension of the 26 county state does not seem to have much to recommend it, especially as it would contain a substantial minority who'd resent having Dublin as their capital, and would be very fearful of the the influence of the Catholic church etc

But a new country, with a new constitution, based on equality and with place for everyone who wanted to make it work, would be very appealing.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh FFS, we get about three of these threads every bloody week these days

What is it with the never-ending factory of loony partitionist redmondite teenagers?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'd like a United Forum to throw all these threads into.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    Oh FFS, we get about three of these threads
    every bloody week these days

What is it with the never-ending factory of loony partitionist redmondite teenagers?
    There are those fantastic debating skills again!

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    Oh FFS, we get about three of these threads every bloody week these days

So far it seems you are in the minority here. It seems some people just don't have it as a priority, and yet you still haven't articulated here why you yourself do

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

British rule has failed to achieve a happy, peaceful society in any part of Ireland. It's safe to say that their little Irish experiment has failed. Spectacularly.

They were given a fair whack at it (800 years give or take a few hundred years), phoned a friend, drawn lots, tossed coins, fired bullets, and in the GFA they've used their last lifeline.

In the interest of a peaceful happy island, I think a United Ireland is one idea that's worth trying. I have little doubt that we could do the job better than the British ever could/ever have done. Don't you?

Technically, we have a united Ireland. What we don't have is a united island.

Quote Originally Posted by Sense 0f Wonder View Post
    British rule has failed to achieve a happy, peaceful society in any part of Ireland. It's safe to say that their little Irish experiment has failed. Spectacularly.

They were given a fair whack at it (800 years give or take a few hundred years), phoned a friend, drawn lots, tossed coins, fired bullets, and in the GFA they've used their last lifeline.

In the interest of a peaceful happy island, I think a United Ireland is one idea that's worth trying. I have little doubt that we could do the job better than the British ever could/ever have done. Don't you?
    In seriousness, would you call the 26 county society happy, peaceful or prosperous for that matter? Many would say that the independence project has failed as surely as the British Rule one did

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast