Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are the Irish Central Bank and the ECB private?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Are the Irish Central Bank and the ECB private?

This is a question I've asked within another thread, and on another forum (not politics.ie) and I still haven't managed to get an answer. Can anyone help me with it?

I am led to believe that the US Federal Reserve is privately owned, and I assume that the Fed is the equivalent of a the US Central Bank. What I would like to know is - is our Irish Central Bank and the ECB privately owned?

While opinions are appreciated on this I would prefer direction to the hard evidence, so if anyone is laying on a conspiracy theory, please support it with REAL hard facts - not references to sort of opinions and dubious evidence as I have come across in my investigations - no matter how good it SOUNDS. I've no prob with conspiracy theories, but I prefer to see the meat on the plate.

Our Central Bank returned over 1 billion euros of a surplus to the exchequer last year.

The capital of the ECB is contributed by the Central Banks of Europe.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Our Central Bank returned over 1 billion euros of a surplus to the exchequer last year.

The capital of the ECB is contributed by the Central Banks of Europe.
    So you're saying that Our Central Bank is belonging to the people of Ireland and is not privately owned like the Fed, and that the ECB is a mechanism supported by the Central Banks of Europe, which is also not private, nor are the Central Banks around Europe? Or are you?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do you mean by private?

Is it private shareholders?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bob3367 View Post
    What do you mean by private?

Is it private shareholders?
    I think so. Apparently the US Fed is private. The same way as the Fed is private.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Find whoever has "led you to believe" that the federal reserve is privately owned and punch them in the nose.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

“Some people think that the Federal Reserve Banks are United States Government institutions. They are private monopolies which prey upon the people of these United States for the benefit of themselves and their foreign customers; foreign and domestic speculators and swindlers; and rich and predatory money lenders.”
    – The Honorable Louis McFadden, Chairman of the House Banking and Currency Committee in the 1930s
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Pleb View Post
    So you're saying that Our Central Bank is belonging to the people of Ireland and is not privately owned like the Fed, and that the ECB is a mechanism supported by the Central Banks of Europe, which is also not private, nor are the Central Banks around Europe? Or are you?
    If he is, he's right. The European Central Banks, and the ECB, are public institutions, with no private shareholders afaik.
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Find whoever has "led you to believe" that the federal reserve is privately owned and punch them in the nose.
    No one in particular led me to believe this, but there are several documentaries on you tube that seem credible (I know there's all sorts of codswollop on you tube) enough that are quite clear in their assertion that the US Fed is a private entity and not a government institute. So are you saying this is false?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    “Some people think that the Federal Reserve Banks are United States Government institutions. They are private monopolies which prey upon the people of these United States for the benefit of themselves and their foreign customers; foreign and domestic speculators and swindlers; and rich and predatory money lenders.”
    – The Honorable Louis McFadden, Chairman of the House Banking and Currency Committee in the 1930s
    looks like I'm not the only one to have been led to believe this. Is there any truth in this world?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast