Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 181

Thread: Horse meat found in another Irish burger factory

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member ticketyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Donegal
    Posts
    5,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Horse meat found in another Irish burger factory

    Just seen this on the "Herald Scotland" website 16 minutes ago.
    I've got a bad feeling about this. How bad can this get in terms of reputational damage to Ireland, and what would be the total effect on employment.
    I'd imagine this could be catastrophic. Someone who knows this business care to enlighten me?
    We could have 99.9% compliance in the industry, but we've seen in other sectors what happens when panic sets in. The herd mentality and all that.
    This could be very costly, I'd imagine?

  2. #2

    Default

    It's rare that goodwill of which Ireland has much, can save a reputation, I see it being very costly in the short-term, with a potential for a lot of damage to the factories in particular, but also to our over all export lead economic recover. I do however feel, that the reaction to date of govt. and officials has staved of any serious long term reputation damage... It is without doubt a pivot point for the industry to address and react accordingly.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member friendlyfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    wexford
    Posts
    2,542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    When you have a elite that have carried out the biggest fraud in history....we will always be prone to these massive scams.When will we wake up, we have a country that is governed like a county council!
    Stupidity is far more fascinating than intelligence, after all intelligence has it's limits.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Hewson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On the horizon
    Posts
    8,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ticketyboo View Post
    Just seen this on the "Herald Scotland" website 16 minutes ago.
    I've got a bad feeling about this. How bad can this get in terms of reputational damage to Ireland, and what would be the total effect on employment.
    I'd imagine this could be catastrophic. Someone who knows this business care to enlighten me?
    We could have 99.9% compliance in the industry, but we've seen in other sectors what happens when panic sets in. The herd mentality and all that.
    This could be very costly, I'd imagine?
    The Poles are getting the blame again. This time the 'filler' in the burger seems to be 70%+ of the meat content.

    What we have in effect is horseburger with added beef.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    dublin
    Posts
    8,148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    What was the point of the Beef Tribunal---has anyone learned any lessons?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Hewson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On the horizon
    Posts
    8,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loner View Post
    What was the point of the Beef Tribunal---has anyone learned any lessons?
    Larry Goodman hasn't anyway.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member diaspora-mick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    A wee link for those interested:
    Horse meat found in another Irish burger factory

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member ticketyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Donegal
    Posts
    5,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmmettTCorcoran View Post
    It's rare that goodwill of which Ireland has much, can save a reputation, I see it being very costly in the short-term, with a potential for a lot of damage to the factories in particular, but also to our over all export lead economic recover. I do however feel, that the reaction to date of govt. and officials has staved of any serious long term reputation damage... It is without doubt a pivot point for the industry to address and react accordingly.
    I would be worried though that even if we can accept that government and officials at the Department are doing good work thus far, the fear is that for the likes of Tesco, one might be considered an aberration, two(or more)could be seen as a pattern. Hope I'm wrong, but I think we might be seeing a very bright light shone in to very dark places.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    dublin
    Posts
    8,148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Why was this manufacturing plant not checked?Are there any other large scale burger manufacturers that have not yet been checked? Who is the Irish meat trader who is importing the stuff from Poland? Can people be prosecuted for manufacturing and selling Irish Beef burgers that are not 100% Irish? What an appalling mess--will anyone be prosecuted for such treasonable activities?

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Crazy horse 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tallaght
    Posts
    13,501
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Monkey see monkey do. Corruption and greed are part and parcel of the irish way of life and always have been.

    Will be interesting to see how the government spin this into a win for "Ireland inc"

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •