Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 379

Thread: Gardaí pull out of Croke Park II talks, an outlier or harbinger of greater labour unrest ?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member cyberianpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wherever I can see
    Posts
    16,728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Gardaí pull out of Croke Park II talks, an outlier or harbinger of greater labour unrest ?

    The GRA has joined to AGSI in pulling out of Croke Park II talks
    GRA pulls out of Croke Park Agreement talks - RTÉ News

    Personally I think the Garda are an outlier case: much of their income was allowances and overtime related, and this suffered more swingeing cuts than other public service pay. I'd like to see figures (CSO no longer publish the granular detail in the earnings survey) - but I suspect the Garda have a case....that said their average earnings increased 44% in the period 2000-2007, so they were always going to be heavily targeted.

    What think others, the beginnings of mass labour unrest or an outlier ?

    cYp
    Last edited by cyberianpan; 4th February 2013 at 11:13 PM.
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member emulator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10,256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    There should be no Croke Park II....

    Let the current one run it's course and then we're all the same again. There are employment laws in place to cover contracts, conditions etc....

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The people serving in An Garda Siochana are some of the best paid in Europe and are completely delusional about the state of the public finances. The GRA and the AGS seem to be believe in the moneyfairy.
    Last edited by True Republican; 4th February 2013 at 11:17 PM.
    "War is never economically beneficial except for those in position to profit from war expenditures."-Ron Paul

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member firefly123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    26,766
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    The GRA has joined to AGSI in pulling out of Croke Park II talks
    GRA pulls out of Croke Park Agreement talks - RTÉ News

    Personally I think the Garda are an outlier case: much of their income was allowances and overtime related, and this suffered more swingeing cuts than other public service pay. I'd like to see figures (CSO no longer publish the granular detail in the earnings survey) - but I suspect the Garda have a case....

    What think others, the beginnings of mass labour unrest or an outlier ?

    cYp
    You will have firefighters, ambulance, prison officers and nurses out too. All the members of the 24/7 frontline alliance from a few years back. It's very clear the main unions intend to allow shift allowances be sacrificed and since that is a significant percentage of the above workers pay you will see these workers walk away from the table and take their chances.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member damus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23,685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    INMO tomorrow followed by the IMO.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member dresden8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    14,656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I do hope the Gardai aren't expecting much support.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDvjw5GrR88

    They don't mind being attack dogs for their masters but now their masters have turned on them.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southfork
    Posts
    49,451
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Privatise the Gardai!
    Real News.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member emulator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10,256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dresden8 View Post
    I do hope the Gardai aren't expecting much support.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDvjw5GrR88

    They don't mind being attack dogs for their masters but now their masters have turned on them.
    That's the thing about wheels.... they always turn.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member commonman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    They know that they are been sold out by the unions they are better of fighting there own corner, that is not the same corner that we supposed turned back a few years ago.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    You will have firefighters, ambulance, prison officers and nurses out too. All the members of the 24/7 frontline alliance from a few years back. It's very clear the main unions intend to allow shift allowances be sacrificed and since that is a significant percentage of the above workers pay you will see these workers walk away from the table and take their chances.
    I politely ask the question, do you think that existing levels of pay, overtime pay and allowances are affordable for frontline staff as well as higher paid ps workers?
    "War is never economically beneficial except for those in position to profit from war expenditures."-Ron Paul

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •