Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outing of Gay Politicians

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Outing of Gay Politicians

Gay Tory 'outing threat' exposes split over same-sex marriage | News | The Week UK

OK, so youíre thinking Ďnot another gay threadí and Ďcouldnít this go with another threadí. Iím posting a new thread because (a) I think this is a distinct issue and (b) the thread on gay marriage in the UK seems to be claiming the last page of the thread canít be displayed and instead the most recent page I can open seems to be page 46.

A number of outlets have suggestions about secretly gay MPs planning to vote against gay marriage tomorrow, and threats by some Tories to out those who do. What are peopleís thoughts on outing of secretly gay politicians.

My normal instinct is that someoneís political life is separate from their private life, and whether they are gay or not has little to do with the merits of the debate at hand. But is a degree of hypocrisy relevant in judging political representatives actions? This really was more of an issue back in the 70s and 80s when Peter Tatchell had a deliberate policy of outing gay MPs who votes against gay rights (section 28 was a particular case). Tatchell himself was the victim of massive homophobia when he ran in a by-election against the current Deputy Leader of the Lib Dems, Simon Hughes in 1983. Ironically, Hughes was (much) later found to be less than consistent in his attitude to homosexuality when outed when running for the leadership of the Lib Dems. So if a politician is being hypocritical in their actions, or in this example if their opposition to gay marriage is grounded in some moral objection to gay relationships, or lauding of the heterosexual marital ideal, does that hypocrisy need to be Ďoutedí.

Iím genuinely not sure on this Ė I think my attitude is that if an MP is secretly gay, thatís one thing and they shouldnít be outed, but if they are pontificating about the sanctity of straight marriage as the ultimate ideal while having a wife at home and a rent boy on the side, then thatís a level of hypocrisy that, I believe, should be exposed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You were doing well until rent a boy came along, are you saying that all gays have rent boys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by commonman View Post
    You were doing well until rent a boy came along, are you saying that all gays have rent boys.
    No, I'm saying that when rish, married, closeted gay men are outed, it's often because they've been using the services of a rent boy. I very clearly didn't claim it to be always the case by using it in a hypothetical sense.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I too didn't like the "rent boy" reference, because many married gay men find solace and an outlet with partners who are discreet

Getting past that, yes, it's nasty that their peers would use their sexuality to confound all democratic principles in a way which can only be described by one word: "Blackmail".

It's disgusting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think gay MPs are obliged to support gay marriage just because they're gay, so I would not support outing them.

They are only hypocrites in my view if they availed themselves of gay marriage in another country, eg. Netherlands or Canada, but then voted against introducing it in the UK.

Besides, they might have other reasons. For example the gay marriage bill will specifically make it illegal for the Church of England to conduct a gay marriage even if it wanted to.

They could be voting against the bill because it actually enshrines this inequality into law.
    Brexit? Never heard of it mate...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Disgusting is the word.

But then we are talking about Politicians
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
    No, I'm saying that when rish, married, closeted gay men are outed, it's often because they've been using the services of a rent boy. I very clearly didn't claim it to be always the case by using it in a hypothetical sense.
    Maybe you should remove that part.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mixed views on this. No one should be outed for opposing the gay marriage. Being a closet case and opposing gay marriage are two perfectly compatible views.

Pontificating about the evils of homosexuality, while being a closet case ...... well now that would be another story.

The reality however is that the "gay lobby" tend to be a very nasty, vicious, "you're either 100% with us or 100% against us" type of crowd. Same as the feminazis. So, these MPs had better watch out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by commonman View Post
    Maybe you should remove that part.
    Why should he? It is a well known phrase and applicable in many cases of bi people who want to give their life a veneer of normality.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sooner or later the Conservatives will have to acknowledge that in order to preserve the family unit they so cherish and their political survival, they will have to include same sex couples in that too.
    I was ready to love the world, but no one understood me, so I learned to hate.
    - Mikhail Lermontov

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast