Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are the Labour Party using the Gay Marriage issue as a distraction from the economy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Are the Labour Party using the Gay Marriage issue as a distraction from the economy?

It has become clear that the Labour Party is not a national party of workers but rather a party to represent sectional interests of white collar public sector workers. To distract from Labour's betrayal of young people and the unemployed, they are engaging in trendy political issues such as trying to leglise gay marriage. Gay marriage won't create jobs or put food on anyone's table but it's a sure way to get votes in the leafy suburbs. Is Labour now a party of San Francisco liberalism rather than a traditional left wing party?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gay marriage has fallen off the agenda lately. But they are certainly using Abortion as a distraction tool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tubbs View Post
    Gay marriage has fallen off the agenda lately. But they are certainly using Abortion as a distraction tool.
    I don't think it has. Labour Youth have been recently told by the leadership to concentrate on "marriage equality" and stop talking about unemployment and cuts to education.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This nonsense again. If they are, they're being pretty stupid because it is clearly within the realms of possibility for politicians and population alike to think about different issues at once.

Indeed "gay marriage" has been kicked into the constitutional convention so nothing is likely to be done about it during the term of this Dail (at least). Agreed on abortion, but I don't think the distraction tactics are working. With property tax coming in and next year's full double whammy of full-on property tax and water charges, these are likely to be the dominant issues as people vote in the locals and euros.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Honecker View Post
    I don't think it has. Labour Youth have been recently told by the leadership to concentrate on "marriage equality" and stop talking about unemployment and cuts to education.

If you don't mind me asking but how do you know that?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All political parties in the dail support of the destruction of centuries of marital tradition, as for Labour its like the 1980's they are trying to concentrate on social issues in order to deflect attention from their economic and financial mismanagement.
    "War is never economically beneficial except for those in position to profit from war expenditures."-Ron Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Labour party are a joke they will never be seen again after the next election

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Labour caused Mrs Halappanavar's death.

Nothing to do with the failure of successive governments to legislate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    Indeed "gay marriage" has been kicked into the constitutional convention so nothing is likely to be done about it during the term of this Dail (at least). Agreed on abortion, but I don't think the distraction tactics are working. With property tax coming in and next year's full double whammy of full-on property tax and water charges, these are likely to be the dominant issues as people vote in the locals and euros.
    The speed at which the French and British Governments have introduced and begun voting on marriage equality suggests that there's no reason action couldn't happen on this during this Government. The Constitutional Convention outcome should allow a further two years to go to referendum (not that one is even actually necessary...).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast