Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Metropolitan Police stole identities of dead children for undercover operations

Johnny Boy

Default Metropolitan Police stole identities of dead children for undercover operations

A Guardian investigation has unearthed another scandal involving the Metropolitan Police this morning.

Britain's largest police force stole the identities of an estimated 80 dead children and issued fake passports in their names for use by undercover police officers.

The Metropolitan police secretly authorised the practice for covert officers infiltrating protest groups without consulting or informing the children's parents.
    You have to wonder if these people respect any boundaries. I've always known that there was a lot of corruption in Britain's police forces, but even I'm taken aback that any police force worthy of the name could stoop this low. Truly shocking.

Police spies stole identities of dead children | UK news | The Guardian

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    A Guardian investigation has unearthed another scandal involving the Metropolitan Police this morning.

You have to wonder if these people respect any boundaries. I've always known that there was a lot of corruption in Britain's police forces, but even I'm taken aback that any police force worthy of the name could stoop this low. Truly shocking.

The Met! always good for some media reports.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As far as I know, this is how all good fake identities are constructed. I don't see how it's "corrupt" at all, either - does the word really mean nothing more than "I don't like this"?
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Somewhere in the back of my memory I read about the Stasi doing this in the 70's and 80's. Thank god communism has fallen, people said. Freedom and democracy, etc, etc.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post

Go and read Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsythe.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ibis View Post
    As far as I know, this is how all good fake identities are constructed. I don't see how it's "corrupt" at all, either - does the word really mean nothing more than "I don't like this"?
    I believe identity theft may be illegal, Ibis. Hence, if the police did it, it is corrupt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Apart from being maybe disrespectful, I don't really know what the problem is, and it is certinly no scandle
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    I believe identity theft may be illegal, Ibis. Hence, if the police did it, it is corrupt.
    Er, no - if its illegal, and the police do it, it's illegal.
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Politics.ie Member Little_Korean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Meh, undercover cops going undercover. Not much of a story beyond the casual interest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ibis View Post
    Er, no - if its illegal, and the police do it, it's illegal.
    Whats your definition of corrupt?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast