Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: State pays 92 million euros too much to social welfare recipients in 2011 with 38% fraud-related

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default State pays 92 million euros too much to social welfare recipients in 2011 with 38% fraud-related

According to a report in today's Irish Examiner, based on figures published by the Department of Social Protection , there was an overpayments of 92 million euros by the State to recipients of social welfare in 2011, 11% more than the previous year and there has been an 83% increase in overpayments over 5 years totalling more than 348 million! In 2011, the number of individual cases involved rose by more than 20% over the previous year's figures.

Fraud related claims by applicants accounted for some 38% in 2011.

The report states that 'The biggest single category of overpayment relates to jobseekers’ allowance, followed closely by the non-contributory state pension.' The 2012 figures are not yet available,

The Department of Social Protection has the power to automatically deduct 15% from ongoing payments to recoup the overpayments made. However, it would be interesting to see the number of prosecutions taken against suspected fraudsters and amounts recovered as a result and a breakdown on the basis of nationality of the fraudsters.

All social welfare fraudsters should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, as should criminal bankers, but I won't hold my breath in either case.

Read the interesting report here: €92m overpaid in social welfare | Irish Examiner. There is a link to the actual breakdown of the figures in correspondent Seán McCárthaigh's useful article.
    Last edited by Dr Pat; 4th February 2013 at 10:42 AM.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The criminal bankers, the regulators, and the professional crooks who supported them are not being prosecuted by the law.

Seanie Fitz and Sean Quinn are being made examples of, but that is about the height of it. High profile PR stuntery.

David Drumm (in many ways worse than Seanie Fitz) is not being extradited. Neither is Quinlan. And there are rogue solicitors living it up in Bulgaria.

Nobody on the board of Permo have been jailed for the Permo to Anglo loan. And Fingers is still living well.

The social welfare recipients are a cheap rpoblem compared to 600 Million being thrown around to get votes in the UN for posturing on the podium.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    The criminal bankers, the regulators, and the professional crooks who supported them are not being prosecuted by the law.

Seanie Fitz and Sean Quinn are being made examples of, but that is about the height of it. High profile PR stuntery.

David Drumm (in many ways worse than Seanie Fitz) is not being extradited. Neither is Quinlan. And there are rogue solicitors living it up in Bulgaria.

Nobody on the board of Permo have been jailed for the Permo to Anglo loan. And Fingers is still living well.

The social welfare recipients are a cheap rpoblem compared to 600 Million being thrown around to get votes in the UN for posturing on the podium.
    I agree with 110%. That is why I mentioned the criminal bankers. I have amended my OP to make it clearer in that respect.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Under new legislation, any social welfare recipient who has been overpaid can have up to 15% of their weekly payment automatically deducted to allow the department recover any excess.

This was only brought in December 2012, how were they recovering it prior to that?