Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Creighton calls Irish people 'narcissistic' on neutrality, wants EU defence, concedes resistance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Creighton calls Irish people 'narcissistic' on neutrality, wants EU defence, concedes resistance.

A report on Ireland by a private French body called Notre Europe - Institut Delors quotes Irish junior Minister Lucinda Creighton as being “very supportive” of Ireland joining common European defence though she does not believe her party could gain “political traction for that in the short term”.

“We have developed this perception of ourselves that to be neutral and to not engage in any sort of common defence is a badge of honour.”

“That position on neutrality is quite narcissistic: we do not have to worry about its consequences, and we can parade it around the world, go to the United Nations and tell everyone how wonderful we are. But that has become part of Irish identity and it will be very hard to change.”

The report, according to the Irish Times story on it today, says that the debt crisis has changed Irish attitudes to European integration: 'The notion of EU membership giving Ireland a louder voice played a role in shaping pro-European attitudes, the report argues, but this feeling was “somewhat shattered” by the events leading to the EU-International Monetary Fund bailout.'

“The tight supervision of domestic policies by outsiders has breathed new life into ‘sovereignty’ as a category of the Irish political debate.”

'There is a “widespread feeling”, including among Government officials, the ECB has applied double standards, treating Ireland more harshly than Spain or Italy.'

Irish attitudes to neutrality 'narcissistic' - The Irish Times - Mon, Feb 04, 2013
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well...well....

It seems that the apple has not dropped far from General O'Duffy's tree.

And then we have Donkeylaffs and his veneration of that saint of pointless bodybags, John Redmond.

If only FG were as committed to fighting wasters in their own party pulling political strokes, or the criminals that are roaming around unhindered.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Somebody should inform Lucinda that her party have decreasing credibility.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hopefully she'll be the first to volunteer to go over the top in Europe's next grotty little resource war in some ex-colonial hellhole.

Watch those machine guns Lucinda - crossfires can be nasty.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Creighton is dead right on this issue.

Our neutrality is just a decoration.

It has become an ugly one too.

It's time we got rid of it.

Needless to say, we won't.

There is not a word of what Creighton has to say as reported in the OP that I don't completely agree with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Narcissistic? A case of pot kettle black there I think, especially coming from that barely coherent little hinny.
    'I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.' - Kurt Cobain

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    Somebody should inform Lucinda that her party have decreasing credibility.
    I'm sure Lucinda and the gang will make these neo-colonial 'interventions' a work-bridge scheme.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Then put her and the rest of the EUnuchs in the front line and let's see if her opinion changes.
    Regards...jmcc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niall78 View Post
    Hopefully she'll be the first to volunteer to go over the top in Europe's next grotty little resource war in some ex-colonial hellhole.

Watch those machine guns Lucinda - crossfires can be nasty.
    Crossfires? She'd want to be careful she doesn't get shot in the back . . .
    'I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.' - Kurt Cobain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Creighton is dead right on this issue.

Our neutrality is just a decoration.

It has become an ugly one too.

It's time we got rid of it.

Needless to say, we won't.

There is not a word of what Creighton has to say as reported in the OP that I don't completely agree with.
    Creighton is on the money on this. Our neutrality is a sham and we should ditch this narcissistic policy immediately.

Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast