Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The destruction of rural life - does anyone care?

Politics.ie Member tipp revolution's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The destruction of rural life - does anyone care?

Michael Healy Rae spoke fervently on Brendan O COnnors show about how life is being taken out of rural communities. Likewise on The Week in Politics valid points were made - if rural people are paying household charges don't they deserve services in return?

Guards gone, post offices gone, shops gone, pubs gone, road surfaces gone - what is to be done?
    "Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king"
    Diogenes

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tipp revolution View Post
    Michael Healy Rae spoke fervently on Brendan O COnnors show about how life is being taken out of rural communities. Likewise on The Week in Politics valid points were made - if rural people are paying household charges don't they deserve services in return?

Guards gone, post offices gone, shops gone, pubs gone, road surfaces gone - what is to be done?
    Surely they deserve the services their particular taxes (including household charges) will sustain? If you mean that they deserve services over and above that, subsidised by the idiots in the cities who should keep their noses out of rural affairs, I'd have to ask why?
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

build an underground bunker
    i owe my allegiance only to the working class

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Communities come together and organise ways to protect their vulnerable members, develop community spirit, you know - look out for each other, local co-ops etc.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is "rural life"?

I don't think there is any greater urbanisation now than in the past. Any analysis of where taxes are spent will show rural areas as still subsidised which is ok. If more people lived in villages or homelands in rural areas sevices would be more sustainable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    Communities come together and organise ways to protect their vulnerable members, develop community spirit, you know - look out for each other, local co-ops etc.
    So can we keep the property taxes and rates to contribute to such organisations

I wholeheartedly agree with you by the way Im just mad at being treated like a second class citizen
    Diogenes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ibis View Post
    Surely they deserve the services their particular taxes (including household charges) will sustain? If you mean that they deserve services over and above that, subsidised by the idiots in the cities who should keep their noses out of rural affairs, I'd have to ask why?
    The way I see it I'm an idiot subsidising your services - how far away is your nearest guard if someone should try to murder you in your bed? (not me now, Im angry but not manically violent)
    Diogenes

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

People have much more in Rural Ireland than ever!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The rising fuel prices is the main thing that puts me off living rural.
    Post offices will be phased out in cities soon due to less mail and more use on internet.
    Shops gone can't be pinned on the Govt.
    Country folk have abandoned their local shops to instead shop in Lidl, Aldi or wherever.
    Pubs closing? This is happening in urban areas just as much.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The way I see it I'm an idiot subsidising your services - how far away is your nearest guard if someone should try to murder you in your bed? (not me now, Im angry but not manically violent)
    If someone was trying to murder you in your bed, a guard would have to be very close to stop them.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast