Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mother-of-two with life-threatening illness denied access to her biological mother's medical history.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mother-of-two with life-threatening illness denied access to her biological mother's medical history.

Dave Kenny: A change in the law could mean difference between life and death - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie
    An adopted mum-of-two with a life-threatening illness has called on the Government to change the law which denies her access to her mother's medical history.

Nikki Redmond (39), from Dalkey, has portal vein thrombosis and is not entitled, under current legislation, to any information about her birth family. Her doctors have so far been unable to establish the cause of the condition, which can restrict the flow of blood to the liver, and damage internal organs.
    She doesn't even know whether or not her biological mother is still alive.

Surely, the information that Nikki needs could be given to her without giving away the biological mother's identity. I'm not denying that the right to privacy is important but, surely, the constitutional right to life is much more important.

The fact that this OP concerns constitutional rights is the reason that I have put it in this forum as opposed to the Health and Social Affairs forum.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was very irresponsible of her to have children without knowing her family medical history.

What is the world coming to...

Still, I know my mum so I guess I won't be needing doctors in my lifetime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Two drunk people's opinions so far...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pity about the mis-spell in the thread title.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There would be no need for her to seek out her birth mother, if the government hadnt decided to destroy all the heel ****************************** data from 1966.

Apparently my factual description of millions of babies is emmmmm bad.

However we will attempt to overcome that by describing it as the test of dna taken from all babies since 1966.
    Last edited by bob3367; 4th February 2013 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    Dave Kenny: A change in the law could mean difference between life and death - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

She doesn't even know whether or not her biological mother is still alive.

Surely, the information that Nikki needs could be given to her without giving away the biological mother's identity. I'm not denying that the right to privacy is important but, surely, the constitutional right to life is much more important.

The fact that this OP concerns constitutional rights is the reason that I have put it in this forum as opposed to the Health and Social Affairs forum.
    Is there a right to, for example, make someone else take a blood test and give you the results if it's necessary to save your life?
    Repeal the 27th.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gloria View Post
    Two drunk people's opinions so far...
    How does knowing who her mother is solve this problem? All she needs is her medical history, which could be anonymous.

I'm a sober sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by General Mayhem View Post
    How does knowing who her mother is solve this problem? All she needs is her medical history, which could be anonymous.

I'm a sober sandwich.
    Presumably there's a right to privacy where one's medical history is concerned.

The easiest thing to do in the short term is to have the law be so that if you need the records you can let the person know and then they could consent to you having them.
    Repeal the 27th.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    Presumably there's a right to privacy where one's medical history is concerned.

The easiest thing to do in the short term is to have the law be so that if you need the records you can let the person know and then they could consent to you having them.
    But surely you can have the medical history without a name attached? Are we not making a mountain out of a mo....

Oh.

Yes, Ireland... I forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by General Mayhem View Post
    But surely you can have the medical history without a name attached? Are we not making a mountain out of a mo....

Oh.

Yes, Ireland... I forgot.
    I don't know what the law is in this area, but I imagine there are data protection issues which would have to be dealt with. The law would need to specify under what circumstances a person's medical records can be accessed without their consent, even if they are not identifiable.
    Repeal the 27th.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast