Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Save the Dublin accent!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Save the Dublin accent!

My fellow Dubliners our native accent is being lost. My own generation is the biggest culprit for this. The heavy influence of American TV shows is resulting in young Dubs having a mid Atlantic accent while in some cases some people just annoyingly put it on. Take KPMG girl for example or any of the voices you hear from young girls and guys going out on the town.

I think possibly the skanger Dublin accent has put off some Dubliners from having the traditional accent and forced them to put on fake American accents to differ from skangers. There was once a society who met in the 1800s in Mulligans called the Society For The Preservation Of The Dublin AccentDublin Pubs - Mulligans Poolbeg Street and how we could do with a group like that these days. The D4 affect is spreading and more and more Dubliners are saying 'loike' 'yeah' 'dort' and gord'. We need to stop it before tourists come here and can't tell the natives from their fellow tourists(could be already happening for all we know). So I say to you my fellow Dubliners save our accent for your county!
    I have closed down this account, I am now The Rahenyite.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Which Dublin accent? There are many.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    Just the general Dublin accent not the mid Atlantic accent that is taking over.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RahenyFG View Post
    So I say to you my fellow Dubliners save our accent for your county!
    Some of us couldn't lose our accents if we tried

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Not really, there are slight variations between districts but the accent is the same until you hit parts of south county.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just the general Dublin accent not the mid Atlantic accent that is taking over.
    Specifics?

There are several. You're telling me what it isn't, but not telling me what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Specifics?

There are several. You're telling me what it isn't, but not telling me what it is.
    Wombat has the nail on the head
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Not really, there are slight variations between districts but the accent is the same until you hit parts of south county.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Specifics?

Generally, English as spoken by natives between the canals

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    You think that there's no difference at all between Balrothery and Ballyfermot?

No difference between Pimlico and Rialto?

None between Tallaght and Deansgrange?

Drive from Tallaght to Walkinstown roundabout and you'll encounter 5 accents should you choose to stop and speak to locals.

I haven't even touched on the differences between Finglas and Ballymun.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My fellow Dubliners our native accent is being lost. My own generation is the biggest culprit for this. The heavy influence of American TV shows is resulting in young Dubs having a mid Atlantic accent while in some cases some people just annoyingly put it on. Take KPMG girl for example or any of the voices you hear from young girls and guys going out on the town.

I think possibly the skanger Dublin accent has put off some Dubliners from having the traditional accent and forced them to put on fake American accents to differ from skangers. There was once a society who met in the 1800s in Mulligans called the Society For The Preservation Of The Dublin AccentDublin Pubs - Mulligans Poolbeg Street and how we could do with a group like that these days. The D4 affect is spreading and more and more Dubliners are saying 'loike' 'yeah' 'dort' and gord'. We need to stop it before tourists come here and can't tell the natives from their fellow tourists(could be already happening for all we know). So I say to you my fellow Dubliners save our accent for your county!
    Whah ?
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast