Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Shatter getting it in the neck!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Shatter getting it in the neck!

The Gardai are going after Shatter big time!

In the press today

"THE family of Detective Garda Adrian Donohoe informed garda management that they did not want any politicians, including the Minister for Justice, at the home of the murdered officer, the Sunday Independent has learned.

The widow of the slain garda, Caroline Donohoe, who is herself a garda in Dundalk, is understood to have asked senior gardai to inform Mr Shatter that he would not be welcome."

"Meanwhile, it has also been learned that the Louth division of the Garda Representative Association is to propose a motion at the GRA's central executive committee tomorrow that an invitation to the annual conference should "not be extended to the Minister for Justice".

Though there have been several instances of protests during ministerial appearances at GRA conferences, this is understood to be the first time a proposal has been made that a Justice Minister should not be invited."

In fairness to Minister Shatter he did not pull the trigger on the Garda that was shot dead and he also has no choice but to try and re-organise the Gardai infrastructure. I think most would agree that emotive responses to practical issues rarely help anyone.

Maybe Enda will cool things down by conducting a re-shuffle to get things back on track or will he leave the two sides on course for a collision with an unpredictable outcome?

Tough times to be in Government.

Shatter told to stay away by widow of slain garda

Martin Donnellan: Justice Minister must ditch buzzwords and weasel words

Garda bodies reject payroll cuts

Shatter on collision course with gardai

Shatter 'very disappointed' as senior gardaí walk away from Croke Park talks

Garda chiefs adamant they face cash crisis despite Shatter's pay pledge
    Last edited by Grey Area; 3rd February 2013 at 12:13 PM.
    “That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the family were right. I wouldn't want any of the hypocritical w@nkers there either.
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Gardai, more than anyone else, should see the wisdom of the adage 'respect the office, even if you don't respect the man'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any minister in situ would get the same.

The only difference is that these cuts are happening against the backdrop of the murder of a garda.

The gardai are rightly riled up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
    The Gardai, more than anyone else, should see the wisdom of the adage 'respect the office, even if you don't respect the man'.
    Agree with the sentiment but the family were right, not least because, as you know, it is a well-honoured self-serving "tradition" for Irish politicians to be "seen" at funerals.
    From the River to the Sea, Palestine will be free!

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hate politicians at funerals, and I particularly dislike politicians muscling their way into the tea and sangwidges after burials.

The GRA not inviting the MofJ to their Conference would be a very different matter.

The fact that the motion is coming from the Louth branch is particularly inappropriate. If it reflects feelings amongst the Guards in Louth, they should pull themselves together.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's about reshuffle time anyway. Any potential alternative justice ministers out there? I don't think the Defence portfolio should be shared either.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dresden8 View Post

The only difference is that these cuts are happening against the backdrop of the murder of a garda.

I think they are also irked that the closure of stations went ahead the day after the funeral. However, it may have been impossible to stop it at that late stage.

Has anyone done a comparison of numbers of stations here and in other countries? Ironically the post office robbed in Oldcastle the other day was only 2 doors from the Garda station which is still open on part time basis. Having the station there didn't do a jot for stopping that robbery.

Politics.ie Member Crazy horse 6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dohville View Post
    It's about reshuffle time anyway. Any potential alternative justice ministers out there? I don't think the Defence portfolio should be shared either.
    Reshuffle? Whats the point for christ sake. They are as bad as each other and anyway the country is being run from Berlin,Washington and Brussels. We might as well disband the Dail at this stage it's no more than a talking shop for high wage earners.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dresden8 View Post

Pretty much sums it up, even if a debonair waft of snooty smugness resides shatterside.
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast