Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bill to end ‘political appointment’ of judges, published by Sinn Féin

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bill to end ‘political appointment’ of judges, published by Sinn Féin

Sinn Féin publishes bill to end ‘political appointment’ of judges

“We cannot allow a ‘jobs for the boys’ attitude to permeate something so fundamentally important as the administration of justice in this State and this bill is one part of a range of measures that we intend to propose,” Mac Lochlainn said. “As well as increasing transparency and accountability in the appointment of judges, we also want to see a judicial council and complaints body that will hold judges to account, as well as a Code of Ethics that they should abide by.

Is this a positive step ?
    I suppose it is about time some party took this crazy situation on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The appointment of judges without a transparent confirmation process must cease if confidence is to be restored in our justice system. That means that child rapists should not get suspended or lax sentences.

Shame on you Judge Carney.

For my part, I prefer the American system of judicial appointment for Federal offices. That is to say, the Seanad would hold confirmation hearings and ultimately a vote in full session on whether or not to appoint him.
    Save the 27th

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kkkkkkkkkk View Post
    Sinn Féin publishes bill to end ‘political appointment’ of judges

“We cannot allow a ‘jobs for the boys’ attitude to permeate something so fundamentally important as the administration of justice in this State and this bill is one part of a range of measures that we intend to propose,” Mac Lochlainn said. “As well as increasing transparency and accountability in the appointment of judges, we also want to see a judicial council and complaints body that will hold judges to account, as well as a Code of Ethics that they should abide by.

Is this a positive step ?
    I suppose it is about time some party took this crazy situation on.

Let me get this right.

Sinn Fein have a difficulty with jobs for boys that are not their boys.

Right!
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Politics.ie Member APettigrew92's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    The appointment of judges without a transparent confirmation process must cease if confidence is to be restored in our justice system. That means that child rapists should not get suspended or lax sentences.

Shame on you Judge Carney.

For my part, I prefer the American system of judicial appointment for Federal offices. That is to say, the Seanad would hold confirmation hearings and ultimately a vote in full session on whether or not to appoint him.
    But won't that just result in the same Political outcome? That would just perpetuate the current state of affairs.

And the Seanád is a farce.

It is a good idea, but how exactly would someone go about it? And how could someone guarantee that, once in power, they themselves would not do the exact same thing.
    Avarus animus nullo satiatur lucro - Latin Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A software programmer could probably write a program to take into account the crims past criminal record , level of crime, probability of re-offending, save us a fortune in legal aid, wasting our lives on jury time,

Just imagine some scumbag up on his 99th conviction getting free legal aid, (ignoring the fact he has 98 previous victims that we know of) and then the whole gravy train industry of barristers, lawyers, people time on Jury's etc.

This is probably the only industry in the world that is self perpetuating for the benefit of its directors/employees and not the shareholders- US the taxpayer.

Politics.ie Member TiredOfBeingTired's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why have I the dirty feeling that there will be damn all change without a referendum?

The SF proposal may improve the Judicial Appointments Advisory Board .
    However, as I see it, it will still be the government that makes the appointment.

Article 35.1
    1. The judges of the Supreme Court, the High Court and all other Courts established in pursuance of Article 34 hereof shall be appointed by the President.

Article 13.9
    9. The powers and functions conferred on the President by this Constitution shall be exercisable and performable by him only on the advice of the Government, save where it is provided by this Constitution that he shall act in his absolute discretion or after consultation with or in relation to the Council of State, or on the advice or nomination of, or on receipt of any other communication from, any other person or body.

Can anyone see a way around the Constitution saying that the government makes the decision?
    Without a referendum?
    Sometimes there is very little between historical and hysterical. One passes for the other. In time, the former remains forever, the latter is quickly replaced...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by storybud1 View Post
    A software programmer could probably write a program to take into account the crims past criminal record , level of crime, probability of re-offending, save us a fortune in legal aid, wasting our lives on jury time,

Just imagine some scumbag up on his 99th conviction getting free legal aid, (ignoring the fact he has 98 previous victims that we know of) and then the whole gravy train industry of barristers, lawyers, people time on Jury's etc.

This is probably the only industry in the world that is self perpetuating for the benefit of its directors/employees and not the shareholders- US the taxpayer.
    I happen to think that justice is more important than to be left to fellas smoking dope, playing dungeons and dwarves in box rooms writing computer code.
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Judges should be appointed on merit not political connections.
    For a variety of reasons I don't think Sinn Féin should be leading this.
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfBeingTired View Post
    Can anyone see a way around the Constitution saying that the government makes the decision?
    Without a referendum?
    My understanding is that Government powers are subject to law. Law could possibly restrict who they can nominate, but I don't think it could force them to nominate someone selected by some process.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast