Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Cystic Fibrosis Treatment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New Cystic Fibrosis Treatment

I find it hard to understand how Reilly has decided out of the blue to approve an annual budget of 20,000,000 Euro to treat 120 people with cystic fibrosis.
    This comes weeks after the HSE said it was too expensive to be used.
    Is this an example of FG giving a sweetener to the drug companies so they don't kick up a fuss about the generic drug issue.
    I have no problem with these people being given better drugs to improve their quality of life,but why not wait for the patent to expire and then give them this wonder drug.
    Why should we stop with the 120 people who will receive these drugs.
    The people who the state infected with hepatitis c are surely entitled to the better treatments available even though the HSE has told them they can just make do with what they have.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by macs magic View Post
    I find it hard to understand how Reilly has decided out of the blue to approve an annual budget of 20,000,000 Euro to treat 120 people with cystic fibrosis.
    This comes weeks after the HSE said it was too expensive to be used.
    Is this an example of FG giving a sweetener to the drug companies so they don't kick up a fuss about the generic drug issue.
    I have no problem with these people being given better drugs to improve their quality of life,but why not wait for the patent to expire and then give them this wonder drug.
    Why should we stop with the 120 people who will receive these drugs.
    The people who the state infected with hepatitis c are surely entitled to the better treatments available even though the HSE has told them they can just make do with what they have.

What a bizarre post. What about the people who need this drug? They might not be around to wait for the patent to expire. Our country has high CF rates and a very poor record of treatment. A person with CF living in the Republic will die ten years earlier than one living in NI. My husband has lost many in his family to that dreadful disease and I find your disregard for the intense suffering of these people and their families exceedingly callous. But then you are a ffer so what can one expect.
    Conservatives seem to believe that the rich will work harder if we give them more, and the poor will work harder if we give them less. E.J. Dionne

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imokyrok View Post
    What a bizarre post. What about the people who need this drug? They might not be around to wait for the patent to expire. Our country has high CF rates and a very poor record of treatment. A person with CF living in the Republic will die ten years earlier than one living in NI. My husband has lost many in his family to that dreadful disease and I find your disregard for the intense suffering of these people and their families exceedingly callous. But then you are a ffer so what can one expect.
    Nobody takes issue with alleviating the suffering of CF victims . The incredibly high cost raises concerns that larger numbers of equally deserving sick people might be comprised due to disproportionate expenditure for political media driven reasons.
    Repeal the thirty-fourth amendment of the Irish constitution :
    Children have a basic right to be reared by a mother and a father.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They havent gone away you know.....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Field Marshal View Post
    Nobody takes issue with alleviating the suffering of CF victims . The incredibly high cost raises concerns that larger numbers of equally deserving sick people might be comprised due to disproportionate expenditure for political media driven reasons.
    But most medicines of that caliber are expensive, and its not just confined to CF...

We will become a very useless society if we restart the practise of knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So these people are more deserving ahead of other seriously ill people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And how much does it cost in terms of in-patient admissions, community supports, lost work days, and the impact on the quality of life of the person with CF and their family without kalydeco ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by macs magic View Post
    So these people are more deserving ahead of other seriously ill people
    They are seriously ill people, indeed untreated CF will kill them at an early age.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Field Marshal View Post
    If there is any other group of patients we have been failing as badly as the CF group I'd be interested to hear about it. Generally I think Ireland is very good at providing the best of medications for people who are ill. I'm aware of treatments and drugs we have access to that the average person in the US can't get for example. However we have failed the CF group as is obvious from the much shorter life expectancy here in Ireland. Now maybe you and the other ffer are happy to tell all people with CF that 'sorry we've decided to stick with only letting you live til you're thirty (if you're lucky) because some people want to play political whataboutery with your lives but it good to see that todays government is trying to do something to address the historical neglect of CF patients
    Conservatives seem to believe that the rich will work harder if we give them more, and the poor will work harder if we give them less. E.J. Dionne

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bob3367 View Post
    But most medicines of that caliber are expensive, and its not just confined to CF...

We will become a very useless society if we restart the practise of knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
    I know that but no treasury is limitless and my concern is that the astronomical cost of this drug may limit and comprise expenditure on patients suffering from other illness,S. this point must be addressed as the drugs budget is not infinite. It's odd that only after an RTE programme that this truly colossoal level of expenditure was authorised to benefit a small number .
    Repeal the thirty-fourth amendment of the Irish constitution :
    Children have a basic right to be reared by a mother and a father.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast