Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ireland Inc.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ireland Inc.

In recent years I began to hear the expression ‘Ireland Inc’ being used in the media. At first I assumed it was just that -an expression, but over time the references to Ireland (It was always just Ireland or Eire for most of my life, to my knowledge) as Ireland Inc became so common, and is used by so many – that it seems it is some sort of official title.

In trying to answer the question I came across stuff that suggests that Ireland is registered as a Corporation so I am assuming that the expression means Ireland Incorporated.

Can anyone enlighten me by answering the following questions;

Is Ireland Inc. an official or legal term, or whatever? What does it mean? What’s it’s significance?

When did it become Ireland Inc. as distinct from Ireland as it used to be?

How come Ireland seems to be the only country (that I’ve ever heard) with Inc added. I’ve never heard of France Inc. or Britain Inc. or wherever?

I look forward to hearing from you.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Pleb View Post
    In recent years I began to hear the expression ‘Ireland Inc’ being used in the media. At first I assumed it was just that -an expression, but over time the references to Ireland (It was always just Ireland or Eire for most of my life, to my knowledge) as Ireland Inc became so common, and is used by so many – that it seems it is some sort of official title.

In trying to answer the question I came across stuff that suggests that Ireland is registered as a Corporation so I am assuming that the expression means Ireland Incorporated.

Is Ireland Inc. an official or legal term, or whatever? What does it mean? What’s it’s significance?

How come Ireland seems to be the only country (that I’ve ever heard) with Inc added. I’ve never heard of France Inc. or Britain Inc. or wherever?

It's a counter to SF Ink.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is just an expression mainly used by people who think we should (or even could) run the country like it's a business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In all seriousness though, its just a term like the celtic tiger.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's actually hugely revealing about the true nature of the southern state.

It's still a colonial construct, run by and in the interests of landlords and bankers, managed by a native gombeen middleman class happy to exploit the peasants for their masters as long as they get to skim a bit off the top. It is NOT a Republic and it is NOT run by and in the interests of the people.

The only difference between now and the 19th century is the actual cast of people who really benefit, the fundamentals of the setup remain the same, with a thin veneer - pretense, really - of democracy painted on top to fool and pacify the herd.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It has no more official standing than "cool Britannia". What it means is that the author of the piece is viewing Ireland first and foremost as an economy, and often in the context of treating the Irish economy as if it were a large company - so in terms of 'competitiveness' and 'innovation'.

The equivalent term for the UK, but less used, is "UK plc".
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post

It's still a colonial construct, run by and in the interests of landlords and bankers, managed by a native gombeen middleman class happy to exploit the peasants for their masters as long as they get to skim a bit off the top. It is NOT a Republic and it is NOT run by and in the interests of the people.

The only difference between now and the 19th century is the actual cast of people who really benefit, the fundamentals of the setup remain the same, with a thin veneer - pretense, really - of democracy painted on top to fool and pacify the herd.
    Not really, it's not an Irish thing.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its is used now because when we took anglos private debts on board we turned from a nation to a debt financing kip! owned and controlled by banks and large corperations

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I ranted here about this four years ago...

http://www.politics.ie/forum/chat/56...orporated.html

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post

In a nutshell, great post.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast