Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would have a family in this day and age?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Who would have a family in this day and age?

The cost of running a family is massive. Check out this article €48,000 The cost of running a family home - The Irish Times - Tue, Sep 18, 2012 My manager, who is in lower paid sector like myself, says he is on a tight budget since the 2013 Budget and can't overspend and I have heard from countless mothers and fathers how they are tight for cash in these austerity times. I can't find a link for it but have it heard quoted endlessly in media circles that the average family have only 50 left at the end of the week after expenses.

On the other side running around after babies, waking up in the night and readjusting your lifestyle would be the things that put me off having kids.

If I was tho in a serious relationship at the moment, both of us working, I would say no to having children at the moment as the tax situation and other miscellaneous stuff mean having children and their cost is so much.
    I have closed down this account, I am now The Rahenyite.

Politics.ie Member tipp revolution's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah well the making of babbies is a free and very enjoyable activitiee

Slightly aside - any other parents get a letter lately from Child Benefit section in Letterkenny asking about nationality of claimant and name and address of school for the over 5's and name of doctor for the underfives. Return in 21 days or child benefit cut off.

Good Girl Joan are you trying to save a bit of money

Do you remember the episode of Shameless when the welfare inspector was on the estate and the young lad of the Gallaghers was hired out to two or three different houses. Hmmmm
    "Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king"
    Diogenes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RahenyFG View Post
    The cost of running a family is massive. Check out this article €48,000 The cost of running a family home - The Irish Times - Tue, Sep 18, 2012 My manager, who is in lower paid sector like myself, says he is on a tight budget since the 2013 Budget and can't overspend and I have heard from countless mothers and fathers how they are tight for cash in these austerity times. I can't find a link for it but have it heard quoted endlessly in media circles that the average family have only €50 left at the end of the week after expenses.

On the other side running around after babies, waking up in the night and readjusting your lifestyle would be the things that put me off having kids.

If I was tho in a serious relationship at the moment, both of us working, I would say no to having children at the moment as the tax situation and other miscellaneous stuff mean having children and their cost is so much.
    Interesting take on the present economic situation nowadays, do you have anything interesting to say about it other than your ridiculous OP......??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truthisfree View Post
    Interesting take on the present economic situation nowadays, do you have anything interesting to say about it other than your ridiculous OP......??
    I honestly wouldn't have kids. The ones that come into my shops give me enough of a headache running all over the place and crying/shouting and I was once told by a parent never to have children and selfishly want the money to spend on myself so I never want kids.
    I have closed down this account, I am now The Rahenyite.

Politics.ie Member tipp revolution's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I honestly wouldn't have kids. The ones that come into my shops give me enough of a headache running all over the place and crying/shouting and I was once told by a parent never to have children and selfishly want the money to spend on myself so I never want kids.
    The poster protesteth too much, I fear
    "Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king"
    Diogenes

Politics.ie Member Northsideman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The cost of running a family is massive. Check out this article €48,000 The cost of running a family home - The Irish Times - Tue, Sep 18, 2012 My manager, who is in lower paid sector like myself, says he is on a tight budget since the 2013 Budget and can't overspend and I have heard from countless mothers and fathers how they are tight for cash in these austerity times. I can't find a link for it but have it heard quoted endlessly in media circles that the average family have only €50 left at the end of the week after expenses.

You're in the low paid sector and you support FG? Man you need to seriously get yourself assessed.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Having kids is the greatest experience of my life. Financially, one finds a way.
    Stand there in silence, look up to the sky and remember how brave they were.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

At least you are directly honest about it

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The cost of running a family is massive. Check out this article 48,000 The cost of running a family home - The Irish Times - Tue, Sep 18, 2012 My manager, who is in lower paid sector like myself, says he is on a tight budget since the 2013 Budget and can't overspend and I have heard from countless mothers and fathers how they are tight for cash in these austerity times. I can't find a link for it but have it heard quoted endlessly in media circles that the average family have only 50 left at the end of the week after expenses.

Don't listen to all the naysayers

There seems to be a campaign afoot to talk a generation out of reproducing themselves

Endless articles, books and websites about how you'll never again get a night's sleep, how awfully difficult it is rearing kids...

Compared to the day job, I found being with my kids heaven. And many people feel the same

There is a new competitive, perfectionist yummy-mummy thing going on where if you have the flu and give your kids a pizza and let them look at the telly for the night, it's some sort of crime....

Make the kids as far as possible fit in with your life, not necessarily the other way round. You are an important person too and your needs matter. For generations adults understood this, now it's like the kids have taken over every household

The expense is real--creches, schoolbooks, doctor, dentist, college registration fees...

With the driving down of wages and every other expense relating to children rising, people are forced to put off having kids--because kids are now regarded as some sort of self-indulgent luxury like a new car or holiday home

Which is shameful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
    Having kids is the greatest experience of my life. Financially, one finds a way.
    True. You find a way to cope with any financial burden. The benefits outweigh any negatives.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast