Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 hours community service for sexual abuse of a teenage girl.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 100 hours community service for sexual abuse of a teenage girl.

Are the judiciary totally out of touch with the public regarding paedophillia?Newry priest Terrance Rafferty was able to walk away from court after his conviction.This man pleaded "not guilty",ensuring the victim had to endure a court case,before finally changing his plea.He was convicted of four countd of indecent assault,with 5 more "left on the books".How can this judge retain his position after failing to impose a custodial sentence?

BBC News - Fr Terrence Rafferty avoids prison after sex assault

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

so basically 9 indecent assault's equals 100 community hours? madness, regardless of the man's religion or organisation he is a sexual predator and should have been lock up.
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Politics.ie Member Evergreenfinch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Judges are totally out of touch with reality!

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    so basically 9 indecent assault's equals 100 community hours? madness, regardless of the man's religion or organisation he is a sexual predator and should have been lock up.
    Agree 100%, but is the law the problem or the judge. I'm not well versed on this at all. For example on a different day could this predator received a much higher sentence?
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theloner View Post
    Agree 100%, but is the law the problem or the judge. I'm not well versed on this at all. For example on a different day could this predator received a much higher sentence?
    TBh i don't know for sure but i cant believe that community service is the maximum allowed for 9 indecent assault's?!!
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One of the mitigating circumstances was his experiences of the conflict here.
    Ffs does that mean I could rob a bank an claim the same?
    I doubt it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Judges will claim it is the law, but the majority of times they will not punish the crooks with the maximum penalty. The problem is now that he government is constantly bleating about prisoners in jail that judges will hand out community service rather than custodial sentences.

Unless of course it's fraud against the government. Kill, maim and rape, you get an ankle tag. Pretend to drown in a canoeing accident to claim life insurance from dodgy bankers, years in jail.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You would have to assume so.What message does it send out,that someone can go out today,sexually assault a child 9 times and expect not to go to jail?Surely this person's family and friends will be considering administering some "justice" themselves after a "sentence" like this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vivabrigada View Post
    One of the mitigating circumstances was his experiences of the conflict here.
    Ffs does that mean I could rob a bank an claim the same?
    I doubt it.
    What politicians was he friendly with?

The folks on the hill always look after 'their own'!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    TBh i don't know for sure but i cant believe that community service is the maximum allowed for 9 indecent assault's?!!
    It was the same as the footballer who, driving while drunk, killed the children in a crash. If I'm not mistaken he got four years and wouldn't even serve that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast