Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Improvements in the Health Service- January 2013

Politics.ie Member Darren J. Prior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Improvements in the Health Service- January 2013

I know, I know this isn't part of his plan- he is just a chancer who is only concerned about his own seat, pay, pension and party being in Government. He couldn't possibly care about the health service and patients despite being a former head of the IMO and doctor. Better to trust someone else in the Dáil being Minister for Health, like... well like, you know... em....

From Dr. James Reilly's Facebook page today:

Improvements in Health Service Statistics

•There has been a reduction of 24% in the number of people on trolleys. There were 20,352 fewer patients on trolleys in 2012 than in 2011.
    •The has been a reduction of 98% in the number of adults waiting more than nine months for inpatient and day-case surgery; down from 3,706 in December 2011 to 86 at the end of December 2012.
    •There was a 95% reduction in the number of children waiting more than 20 weeks for inpatient or day-case surgery; down from 1,759 in December 2011 to 89.
    •The number of patients waiting more than 13 weeks for routine endoscopy procedures was reduced by 99%; from 4,590 in December 2011 to 36 at the end of 2012.
    •For the first time in the history of the State, we have collated the true number of people waiting on outpatient lists (around 380,000).
    •By the end of the year, the plan is that no one will wait longer than 12 months for an outpatient appointment. Some 16,000 people have been waiting longer than four years.
    •There is no longer a dispute over the morning trolley count with the INMO; we now have a joint figure.

In terms of delivery of the Programme for Government how is Dr. James Reilly not delivering?
    Last edited by Darren J. Prior; 31st January 2013 at 05:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This must be a Hug a Chancer thread?

Did he offer any proof or is this Bottler simply beating his chest to try to prop himself up in the eyes of the public? It won't work you clown.
    Last edited by Ulster-Lad; 31st January 2013 at 05:22 PM.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J. Prior View Post
    I know, I know this isn't part of his plan- he is just a chancer who is only concerned about his own seat, pay, pension and party being in Government. He couldn't possibly care about the health service and patients despite being a former head of the IMO and doctor. Better to trust someone else in the Dáil being Minister for Health, like... well like, you know... em....

From Dr. James Reilly's Facebook page today:

Improvements in Health Service Statistics

•There has been a reduction of 24% in the number of people on trolleys. There were 20,352 fewer patients on trolleys in 2012 than in 2011.
    •The has been a reduction of 98% in the number of adults waiting more than nine months for inpatient and day-case surgery; down from 3,706 in December 2011 to 86 at the end of December 2012.
    •There was a 95% reduction in the number of children waiting more than 20 weeks for inpatient or day-case surgery; down from 1,759 in December 2011 to 89.
    •The number of patients waiting more than 13 weeks for routine endoscopy procedures was reduced by 99%; from 4,590 in December 2011 to 36 at the end of 2012.
    •For the first time in the history of the State, we have collated the true number of people waiting on outpatient lists (around 380,000).
    •By the end of the year, the plan is that no one will wait longer than 12 months for an outpatient appointment. Some 16,000 people have been waiting longer than four years.
    •There is no longer a dispute over the morning trolley count with the INMO; we now have a joint figure.

In terms of delivery of the Programme for Government how is Dr. James Reilly not delivering?
    Is this a last minute plea?
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm no expert so I don't know if these claims are true or not. However, I have felt for some time that the HSE should be out saying more about the improvements that have definitely happened. The big increase in life expectancy is proof of that. They are probably afraid to put their heads above the parapet because, for most of the media, HSE = a bad news story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And from The IT today:

"Despite the funding pressures facing the mental health sector, a major survey has found a large majority of service users were happy with the standard of service they received.

A study based on more than 1,500 people’s experiences with the services last year found some 76 per cent were happy overall. This compares with 57 per cent in 2010 and 52 per cent in 2009."

The Irish Times - Wed, Jan 30, 2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J. Prior View Post
    And from The IT today:

"Despite the funding pressures facing the mental health sector, a major survey has found a large majority of service users were happy with the standard of service they received.

A study based on more than 1,500 people’s experiences with the services last year found some 76 per cent were happy overall. This compares with 57 per cent in 2010 and 52 per cent in 2009."

The Irish Times - Wed, Jan 30, 2013
    It would be interesting to know where these surveys are conducted. Are they when the patient is still in hospital or in treatment? I would imagine it would be hard for patients to be honest when in listering distance from their health providers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crossman View Post
    I'm no expert so I don't know if these claims are true or not. However, I have felt for some time that the HSE should be out saying more about the improvements that have definitely happened. The big increase in life expectancy is proof of that. They are probably afraid to put their heads above the parapet because, for most of the media, HSE = a bad news story.
    The increase in life expectancy and improvements to many services has had nothing really to do with Minister Reilly. If you're looking to pat someone on the back, look to Micky Martin and Mary Harney (I'm sure i'll get pulled on that by the masses). The HSE has also certainly assisted with improving the health service in Ireland. And youre right, it has improved greatly in recent years. But the Minister would disagree with that, hence the disbandment of the HSE monster and returning power to politicians.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    and improvements to many services has had nothing really to do with Minister Reilly. If you're looking to pat someone on the back, look to Micky Martin and Mary Harney
    Did you read the OP? And bar the smoking ban Mícheál Martin did nothing remarkable when he was Minister for Health and Mary Harney- what did she do?

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good tangible, quantifiable facts and figures.

The moanyholes will hate that.
    Last edited by Marcos the black; 31st January 2013 at 07:29 PM.
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sadmal View Post
    It would be interesting to know where these surveys are conducted. Are they when the patient is still in hospital or in treatment? I would imagine it would be hard for patients to be honest when in listering distance from their health providers.
    Unfortunately, the actual study doesn't elaborate on how the sample of service-users was selected. They also seem to suggest that methodology involved qualitative and qualitative data, but from what I can gather instrument itself is actually quantitative - ie, it's a one page survey and the questionnaire has pre-defined research questions with the answers that they want to receive! I also don't see the relevant section on the questionnaire which gives the respondent the opportunity to make personal comments on the service they received . The interesting part is that their qualitative analysis involves looking at the comments of the respondents and analysing these for meaning. How can they analyse respondents answers for meaning if they don't interview the respondents - isn't there a margin for error? They don't elaborate on the non-response rate, the nature of the MH difficulties that the service-users may be suffering from, or the various social factors that may affect their responses ie, age, education, occupation, social class etc. It also doesn't seem to address the reliability and validity of the data and particularly to what extent are current service-users really going to be willing to express their dissatisfaction with services?

Turn to Appendix 1 if you want to see the actual questionnaire!

http://www.nsue.ie/m/uploads/files/SO2011.pdf

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast