Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel strikes Syrian convoy in Lebanon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Israel strikes Syrian convoy in Lebanon

It is being reported that there has been an increase on Israeli jets operating over Southern Lebanon recently and they have just struck a munitions convoy belonging to Syria. No word on casualties or what exactly was in the convoy.

This could get interesting. Iran reported any attack on Syria would be considered an attack on them (Iran). Then there is those Russians operating near-by. We also have a contingent of Irish troops in Southern Lebanon.

Israel Strikes Convoy On Syria-Lebanon Border
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Oh dear. If this was in fact inside Lebanon, Israel will risk starting another war in the region. UNIFIL will have their hands full.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

These are those Russians I referred to as well. Assad is reportedly living on one of the Russian warships.

After nearly two years of conflict and 117,000 displaced Syrians the UPI reports Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his family may have left the country to live aboard a warship manned by Russian security.

Read more: Assad Possibly Living On Warship - Business Insider
    PressTV - Russian warships gathering off Syria waters to deter West: Report
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    These are those Russians I referred to as well. Assad is reportedly living on one of the Russian warships.

PressTV - Russian warships gathering off Syria waters to deter West: Report
    Nonsense, Russia has long used Syria as the base of its Mediterranean fleet. To somehow suggest now that they are there to deter the west is ignorant of recent history. Russia will back whomever appears to be winning the conflict as it needs that base.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Israel has made it quite clear to anyone who would listen that it would intervene in Syria if it had intelligence there was any attempt to pass Syrian chemical weapons to Hezbollah or other such groups - or if it felt those weapons could fall into rebel hands in Syria.

Why is anyone surprised if this is now happening?

What do posters expect them to do - stand by and let avowed enemies get their hands on lethal chemical weapons?

It's not like such action is out of the blue - Israel has taken military for the last 65 years whenever such threats are manifest.

But something has happened in recent days to trigger heightened alert status in Israel - the IDF is on higher alert, Iron Dome missiles have been moved to the northern border and a top official has been sent to Moscow to lobby/warn Russia over the Syrian chemical weapons.

Netanyahu on Syrian options: 'Bad, bad and... JPost - Middle East

Top official sent to Moscow over Syria chemical weapons worries | The Times of Israel

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Israel - kicking ass since the time of Pharoah!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Jack View Post
    Israel has made it quite clear to anyone who would listen that it would intervene in Syria if it had intelligence there was any attempt to pass Syrian chemical weapons to Hezbollah or other such groups - or if it felt those weapons could fall into rebel hands in Syria.

Why is anyone surprised if this is now happening?

What do posters expect them to do - stand by and let avowed enemies get their hands on lethal chemical weapons?

It's not like such action is out of the blue - Israel has taken military for the last 65 years whenever such threats are manifest.

But something has happened in recent days to trigger heightened alert status in Israel - the IDF is on higher alert, Iron Dome missiles have been moved to the northern border and a top official has been sent to Moscow to lobby/warn Russia over the Syrian chemical weapons.

Netanyahu on Syrian options: 'Bad, bad and... JPost - Middle East

Top official sent to Moscow over Syria chemical weapons worries | The Times of Israel
    I have not seen it reported that this convoy was carrying chemical weapons. I did not make that allegation in the OP nor did the link I cited. Do you have some other information that states the convoy was carrying chemical weapons?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was likely Syrian regime convoy smuggling more weapons and missiles to Hezbollah terrorists and Israel rightly destroyed it.
    In August 2012 Hamas MP and Deputy Speaker Ahmad Bahr appeared on Hamas' Al-Aqsa TV and demanded all Muslims to annihilate the Jews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    I have not seen it reported that this convoy was carrying chemical weapons. I did not make that allegation in the OP nor did the link I cited. Do you have some other information that states the convoy was carrying chemical weapons?
    I was pointing out that Israel has clearly stated what would trigger IDF action in Syria.

The Israelis are not going to attack such a convoy for the sake of it but because it has definite intelligence something it sees as a threat to them was being transported from Syria - it could be missiles or it could be chemical weapons but I doubt very much it was cuddly toys.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast