Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Ministers could be forced to answer questions, if there was a real Speaker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ministers could be forced to answer questions, if there was a real Speaker.

If the Ceann Comhairle needed 75% of the House to be elected, that would ensure that he/she was always a person of integrity.

The Ceann Comhairle should also be entitled to rule on whether the Minister had answered the question (forgive my memory - has that already been brought in here or was it just mooted?) .

I think that simple measure would transform politics and make a lot of useless spinners redundant.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leftsoc View Post
    If the Ceann Comhairle needed 75% of the House to be elected, that would ensure that he/she was always a person of integrity.
    No it wouldn't.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    No it wouldn't.
    It might.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leftsoc View Post
    You're more likely to get a weak compromise candidate that offends no one. Look at the Council of the EU, it operates on a culture of unanimity so almost all appointments are compromise candidates, not the best candidates.

But I agree with the aims of your proposal.