Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 71

Thread: FF's hypocrisy on Garda cutbacks

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Kerrygold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kerry
    Posts
    4,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default FF's hypocrisy on Garda cutbacks

    This week in the Dáil Fianna Fáil introduced a Private Members motion criticising cutbacks to An Garda Síochána.

    Fair enough you say.

    They refused a government request to pull the motion given the tragic death of Garda Donohue. FF declined stating that they had the support of Gardaí in their motion and that many stations are due to close this week.

    Shatter criticises Martin for not cancelling debate following garda death

    Fair enough you say.

    But cast your minds back to nearly years 3 ago when FF's current justice spokesperson and then backbench TD Niall Collins called for the then outgoing president of the GRA to be fired from the force for a speech, which was not delivered, in which he planned to criticise the Government and Fianna Fáil for cutbacks to the Gardaí.

    Call for removal of GRA president from force - RTÉ News

    Now perhaps Michael O'Boyce's words were OTT but his speech, that never was, certainly put this weeks motion in a different light.

    Fianna Fáil hypocrites?

    Never!

  2. #2
    GDPR Deleted
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    103,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrygold View Post
    This week in the Dáil Fianna Fáil introduced a Private Members motion criticising cutbacks to An Garda Síochána.

    Fair enough you say.

    They refused a government request to pull the motion given the tragic death of Garda Donohue. FF declined stating that they had the support of Gardaí in their motion and that many stations are due to close this week.

    Shatter criticises Martin for not cancelling debate following garda death

    Fair enough you say.

    But cast your minds back to nearly years 3 ago when FF's current justice spokesperson and then backbench TD Niall Collins called for the then outgoing president of the GRA to be fired from the force for a speech, which was not delivered, in which he planned to criticise the Government and Fianna Fáil for cutbacks to the Gardaí.

    Call for removal of GRA president from force - RTÉ News

    Now perhaps Michael O'Boyce's words were OTT but his speech, that never was, certainly put this weeks motion in a different light.

    Fianna Fáil hypocrites?

    Never!
    There is no connection at all, but fairs dues for trying.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Kerrygold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kerry
    Posts
    4,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    There is no connection at all, but fairs dues for trying.
    Says the FFer.

  4. #4
    GDPR Deleted
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    103,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrygold View Post
    Says the FFer.
    Why didn't you point out the connection I missed?

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I simply discount every iota that comes from a FF mouth.....period. However i think the GRA have far to much influence "generally" on policy making.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    13,663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    There is no connection at all, but fairs dues for trying.
    There's an umbilical connection between FF and hypocrisy.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Colin M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Well spotted OP. The more things change....

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    13,663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuque View Post
    I simply discount every iota that comes from a FF mouth.....period. However i think the GRA have far to much influence "generally" on policy making.
    I actually think they have very little influence, but they're very loud and don't appear to serve their members very well. Remember their whining about the Garda Reserve ? My understanding now is that the rank and file see the GR as a positive development.

  9. #9
    GDPR Deleted
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    103,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    There's an umbilical connection between FF and hypocrisy.
    I go looking for something factual and you give me that?

    Jesus, it's a poor show, isn't it?

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member tigerben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Midleton
    Posts
    4,621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    " it is morally wrong to tax a persons home " Enda Kenny
    " ever little hurts" Labour

    Hypocrisy is a opposition pass time!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •