Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of our new buildings are in danger of falling down?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How many of our new buildings are in danger of falling down?

How many of our new buildings are in danger of falling down?

The Building Control Act which came into force in June 1992 created a regime where buildings were certified as complying with the Building Regulations and British Standards Design codes by the buildings designers or their subcontractors.

Certificates were acceptable to the Law Society and the Banks from designers who had no formal qualification in Engineering.

All that was required was for the person certifying to be old enough to pretend they were in private practice for 10 years.

This begs the question as to how some one could start a practice without qualifications?

The Building Control regime which applies to commercial buildings involves drawings being submitted to local Authorities which are approved with the issue of a Fire Certificate. The onus is on the certifing designer to then ensure the building complies with the design.

We have already seen how building control has failed in the planning and building control functions.

Do we need an independent check of all buildings designed by people without professional qualifications?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcolebrooke View Post
    How many of our new buildings are in danger of falling down?
    If even quarter of the stories I heard from tradesman acquaintances during the building boom were true, and if my local area was at all typical of the rest of the country, then I suspect that the answer to that question is "Quite a few".

Politics.ie Member dizillusioned's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The problem I see is that building permits are not required... plans maybe submitted for approval, but subsequent inspections by a building inspector is not done...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In Tralee town centre, in a building stretch I dunno, ten years old or so, boots, tesco, etc all have buckets all about the place if there's heavy rain.
    After all, tomorrow is another day.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dizillusioned View Post
    The problem I see is that building permits are not required... plans maybe submitted for approval, but subsequent inspections by a building inspector is not done...

There are cases where plans are submitted and approved with them built exactly as designed only to emerge later that there are major structural problems.

Many local authority staff never worked on a building site let alone a major development to gain a breath of experience.

Who ever thought it was a good idea to let self styled Engineers with no training and no qualifications practice as engineers?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TBH theres tons of stuff that never got finished in the first place and have been exposed to the elements for over 5years now.

i dont think anything can be done for that lot now except pulling em down.

and of the finished stock.

i'd WELL belive a subtantial number of em arent up the scratch as corners were cut but they "knew" the right contacts to get the certs.

theres more than one priory hall waiting out there.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by constitutionus View Post
    TBH theres tons of stuff that never got finished in the first place and have been exposed to the elements for over 5years now.

i dont think anything can be done for that lot now except pulling em down.

and of the finished stock.

i'd WELL belive a subtantial number of em arent up the scratch as corners were cut but they "knew" the right contacts to get the certs.

theres more than one priory hall waiting out there.

A friend of mine was offered as little as €60 per apartment to provide "Certificates of Compliance" for 100 apartments. The Builder was indignant that he was told it would cost a lot more and that it would be subject to extensive inspection.

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All of Adamstown?
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Going back 30 years or so, my parents had an extension built on to the house.
    One day the council inspector was due to visit to make sure it was being done according to the plans I suppose.
    The builder, a real bunch of cowboys as it turned out, instructed my dad to go buy a bottle of whiskey for this inspector.
    When he arrived the builders presented him with this bottle, and everything was hunky dory. Except 30 years later the roof leaks.

I assume things were even more cavalier during the crazy times.
    At some point the gloves must come off and we face our adversaries.
    We're all Rhodesians now.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good question.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast