Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Preferred Consensus Option for Northern Ireland

Politics.ie Member DavidCaldwell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Preferred Consensus Option for Northern Ireland

Lets imagine that it has been agreed that we will need to find a constitutional arrangement for Northern Ireland that will be acceptable to most people of all sides - i.e some sort of consensus solution.

Which of the following would be preferable to you? (Imagine that they are the only two options available)

A) Joint Sovereignty (NI part of both the Republic and the UK, in the same way that Andorra is part of France and Spain)

B) A sovereign united Ireland that is, in turn, part of a "Confederation of the Isles" (with the nations of the confederation being jointly responsible for external defence and having a joint, elected, ceremonial Head of State)

Having decided on a prefered (or least disliked) option, how happy would you be with it as a final outcome?
    An East Irish

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No to both.

A is an option but B is a definite no, no.

C. An independent NI standing on its own two feet without handouts from anyone. The best option of the lot.
    If we got rid of all the papists, there'd be no trouble whatsoever. The place will be nirvana. Schomberg.

Johnny Boy

I'd settle for joint sovereignty, as a final solution, if it would bring an end to sectarianism and strife, but of course it won't, and I know already that SF supporters won't accept it nor will those of the DUP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think I will have to state a vested interest here.

Theoretical physicists and the like want problems not solutions.

Castle Ray

Are these imaginary options for after a referendum rejecting the UK?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    I'd settle for joint sovereignty, as a final solution, if it would bring an end to sectarianism and strife, but of course it won't, and I know already that SF supporters won't accept it nor will those of the DUP.
    The idea behind the thread was to investigate whether, when given some degree of choice in the matter, they could live with a consensus solution. (My belief about human nature is that having some degree of choice makes a huge difference - I have seen this in action when a group of people were being assigned expat postings)
    An East Irish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Castle Ray View Post
    Are these imaginary options for after a referendum rejecting the UK?
    Imagine that the political parties decided that they would first try to find a consensus solution, rather than a 50% + 1 solution (possibly because of fears about the outcome of a referendum).
    An East Irish

Castle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCaldwell View Post
    Imagine that the political parties decided that they would first try to find a consensus solution, rather than a 50% + 1 solution (possibly because of fears about the outcome of a referendum).
    A settlement has been made. Your options are only relevant after a failed referendum.

Johnny Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Castle Ray View Post
    A settlement has been made. Your options are only relevant after a failed referendum.
    The problem is that one side want to see it as permanent but the other regard it merely as an interim measure.
    In effect that is why we are condemned to instability.

Castle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    The problem is that one side want to see it as permanent but the other regard it merely as an interim measure.
    In effect that is why we are condemned to instability.
    All positions are interim in a democracy and therefore unstable.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast