Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: FF up in the polls, has the great FF comeback begun ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default FF up in the polls, has the great FF comeback begun ?

According to the latest Red C poll, FF are up to 21% from what they got in the election of 17% two years ago. However FG and Labour have dropped 16%. Has the great FF comeback begun or does it show they are still reviled by most of the public demonstrated by the fact that FF can only claw back 4% from a drop of 16% over two years from a government that has been as abysmal as the one that got us into this mess ?
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts and the manipulation of markets for the gombeen class.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FF are going nowhere. The only reason they are back up in the polls is that despite what most FF and FG supporters say, there are a huge number of people who couldn't tell the difference between FF and FG, and are happy enough to move their vote from one of them to the other. When that doesn't work out, they'll move their vote back again. That's what's happening here.. people who voted FF all their lives felt screwed by FF.. went to FG or Labour.. realised they were going to be screwed by FG or Labour, to slipped back to FF all over again.

Those who have any kind of a brain and think about where and how they use their vote, still understand that FF were the party that destroyed the country are not yet willing to forgive them.

There are a number of other problems on the horizon for FF....

1. The local elections in 2014... FF for the last three local elections got substantially less % of the vote in the locals than they did in the previous GE... and one of the main reasons is that in a LE, there is a lot more candidate choice i.e. independents... If FF were to only get 21% in a local, they would suffer another sharp loss in the number of council seats that they have, and their "comeback" would be dented.

2. To ensure retention of council seats, they may have to run an awful lot of "old hands" who are big vote getters.. this will stifle plans to get a cohort of newer "cleaner" candidates for GE's in years ahead (as FG did in 2002 and 2009)..

3. No one wants to acknowledge that it is SF who are benefitting from the fall in Gov %.. up around 9% in polls to FF's 4%....
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For a moment I read your headline as FF up the pole.

FFs punishment has been cut short all thanks to Reilly, Hogan, Shatter, Rabbitte, Howlin and Gilmore for not giving the electorate what they voted for, Transparency and change. The number of times that I have recently heard the phrase "Better the devil you know". FG/LP have shot themselves in the foot.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PO'Neill View Post
    According to the latest Red C poll, FF are up to 21% from what they got in the election of 17% two years ago. However FG and Labour have dropped 16%. Has the great FF comeback begun or does it show they are still reviled by most of the public demonstrated by the fact that FF can only claw back 4% from a drop of 16% over two years from a government that has been as abysmal as the one that got us into this mess ?
    The core vote of FF, according to the ST poll, makes them the most popular party in the country by 2 or 3 points over FG, with their core vote about double since the election.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel View Post
    FF are going nowhere.

You're a gas man ROC, but you know, I think you believe it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They will likely gain back support albeit slowly. They need a good showing in the locals. A lot of my neighbours have turned back on Government but won't vote for SF. I still think and agree with a post above however, that SF is benefiting the most from disillusionment with the Government parties.

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The eFFing traitors aren't really making a comeback...

I suspect when it comes to putting pencil to paper in a box beside some mug with an eFFing traitor logo beside them that any perceived mid term poll gains will diminish...

What's really happened is that FG/Lab have blown it...

And considering the mandate they were given, FG in particular have blown it big time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well they're set to lose a fair amount of councillors if they get anything around 20% next year.

I think they got 30% in 2009.

That could be a set back for Mickey Martin and perhaps give someone less tainted a chance to move on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"FF up in the polls, has the great FF comeback begun ?"
    Great?

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast