Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pronunciation:

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Pronunciation:

A piece on the News at One reminded me of something I've wondered about. The newscaster said that a hoard of coins had been " unearth-Úd ". Many other words ending in -ed are also pronounced in this way "down here " !!!

Is this linguistic quirk Elizabethan, Williamite ??
    Last edited by former wesleyan; 29th January 2013 at 06:24 PM.
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How would you pronounce it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i also hate the way they pronounce "finance"...as in "the minister for fin-aaaahnce today said...."
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would "un bleedin earthed" sound better to you?

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Something I noticed when I was living in Ireland was how several RTE news presenters would talk of the 'cawwwwst of living'. And 'datta' for 'data'. And putting the stress on the first syllable for 'research'. And saying 'peace prawcess' rather than prohcess.

And why does everyone now say 'Dor-sett' (stress on second syllable) Street', when Dubs of old said it the proper way?

Why, in short, the Americanization?

Give me an hour and I'll have many more examples...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Dunno if this helps, but there was a programme about English and its history on BBC about ten years ago. Cork featured in it because of the accent and the way certain words are pronounced. In particular, how words like meat, beat, and heat were pronounced mate, bate and hate. The programme concluded that this was Elizabethan pronunciation that had survived. Very interesting programme as I recall, if you managed to dig it up.
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    Something I noticed when I was living in Ireland was how several RTE news presenters would talk of the 'cawwwwst of living'. And 'datta' for 'data'. And putting the stress on the first syllable for 'research'. And saying 'peace prawcess' rather than prohcess.

And why does everyone now say 'Dor-sett' (stress on second syllable) Street', when Dubs of old said it the proper way?

Why, in short, the Americanization?

Give me an hour and I'll have many more examples...
    Americanisation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    I pronounce data as dah-ta - in my experience it's more Australian than American - any Americans I've dealt with pronounce it daydta.

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
    How would you pronounce it?
    Unearthed. As in " unearth-de " , but only two syllables obviously.
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The pronunciation of the letter R as "or" rather than "are" always bothers me.
    "You want fame? Well, fame costs. And right here is where you start paying........"

Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast