Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Seamus Heaney: "There's never going to be a united Ireland".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Seamus Heaney: "There's never going to be a united Ireland".

Ireland won't be united so let loyalists fly flag – Seamus Heaney - National News - Independent.ie

The Derry-born poet – who once famously protested at being included in the 'Penguin Book of Contemporary British Poetry' because his "passport's green" – said there was "never going to be a united Ireland" so "why don't you let them (loyalists) fly the flag?" ...
    It seems like a bit of a throwaway observation on Heaney's part.

It's a pity the reporter didn't follow up with a question regarding why he thought that. I think it could make for an interesting discussion!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seamus Heaney is an arsehole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's entitled to his opinion, and it's just that an opinion.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The issue is not whether Loyalists can fly it but whether Belfast City Council should and how much. He is probably correct on a UI though. If the UK leaves the EU it will certainly deepen partition, and our economic crisis hardly recommends itself to a yes vote at present. It will take some time for us to recover. When that happens the chances of a yes vote will increase.
    Save the 27th

Johnny Boy

The opinions of an elderly academic noted for rather bucolic poetry, who spends his time between Dublin and the USA, and hasn't lived in NI for probably more than 50 years, are of media interest obviously, but are otherwise of no more value than any other citizen's. Undoubtedly this will annoy a few nationalists here and there, but he's as entitled to his opinion as anyone else. However as he doesn't live in Belfast, he doesn't have a vote to cast, which could make a difference to the flag issue in the next council election so who cares?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's the "never" that I find curious.

Since the remark is made in the context of a discussion about the flag controversy, he seems to be implying that die-hard Unionists (and their descendents) will never come to terms with the notion of a single Irish nation, in spite of demographics, referendums, etc., and that, therefore, there can never be a united Ireland.

I disagree. But I think any change will be the result of a very long process, and will have to be managed very carefully.

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Imo he is right about a UI but wrong about the fleg designated days is fine...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkknight View Post
    It's the "never" that I find curious.

Since the remark is made in the context of a discussion about the flag controversy, he seems to be implying that die-hard Unionists (and their descendents) will never come to terms with the notion of a single Irish nation, in spite of demographics, referendums, etc., and that, therefore, there can never be a united Ireland.

I disagree. But I think any change will be the result of a very long process, and will have to be managed very carefully.
    no he knows that not all CNINR want a UI and as things become more normal and stable even less will, that is why he knows there will never be a UI...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Both he and the Devlin family he married into have all done the Partitionist quickstep and got out of what obviously seemed an uncongenial atmosphere; Polly even going so far as to marry into the English aristocracy. That's what partition is for; exiting the sector where you don't feel comfortable.
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    The opinions of an elderly academic noted for rather bucolic poetry, who spends his time between Dublin and the USA, and hasn't lived in NI for probably more than 50 years, are of media interest obviously, but are otherwise of no more value than any other citizen's. Undoubtedly this will annoy a few nationalists here and there, but he's as entitled to his opinion as anyone else. However as he doesn't live in Belfast, he doesn't have a vote to cast, which could make a difference to the flag issue in the next council election so who cares?
    Fickle Johnny rides again.

Before his (correct) assessment of the constituational issue, you regarded him as a major contributor to Irish culture.

Now you see him as an out of touch c*nt? Lol.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast