Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 114 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Alliance and its 'shared future' proposals. (WARNING: May contain traces of flag)

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Alliance and its 'shared future' proposals. (WARNING: May contain traces of flag)

The Alliance Party has published what it says should be the executive's strategy for creating a shared future in Northern Ireland. On Tuesday, the party launched For Everyone, The Alliance Party Blueprint For An Executive Strategy To Build A Shared and Better Future. It recommends a 20% reduction in peace line structures within ten years, with a further 30% removed within 15 years and mixed housing should be considered the norm in Northern Ireland by 2025.

Last May The Alliance party came under heavy criticism from SF and the DUP for actually pulling out of talks regards a shared future. David Ford accused the DUP and Sinn Fein of attempting to create "an illusion" that they were working towards a shared future and claimed the redevelopment plan for Girdwood in north Belfast would result in "further segregation of housing", prompting its walkout from the talks.

Peter Robinson who lost his Westminster seat to the Alliance's Naomi Long said, 'Throughout this process there has been political sniping by David Ford, along with no serious attempt by his party to achieve a shared agreement on good relations. When the Alliance party claims of being the party of consensus and finding agreement were tested, they failed'.

They also raised the 'F' word in its proposals.

Interestingly the party has called for legislation regards flags. Indeed going further and demanding nationalist controlled councils in the north fly the Union Flag on designated days. At least 10 councils refuse to fly the Union Flag. Perhaps it's a little too late to be appeasing the angry mob outside City Hall now Davy, but nice try. However, it's not all good news for Jamie and Willie, as it would stop unionist councils such as Lisburn voting to fly the Union Flag every day, imagine that. The document also set an aspiration to see at least one in every five children educated in an integrated school by 2020.

The document highlights four key areas:

Shared education and services for young people, including more integrated schools
    Shared communities, including mixed housing as the norm and the removal of interfaces, with the support of communities
    Shared culture for everyone, including a process for regulating parades
    Shared approach to the past, including considering a new agency to deal with legacy issues

BBC News - Alliance Party publishes Northern Ireland shared future strategy
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default SF/IRA Time To Fly The Fleg

NATIONALIST councils which do not fly the Union Flag at all should be made to fly the flag on designated days, the Alliance Party has said.

In detailed proposals aimed at removing sectarianism from society launched at Stormont yesterday, Alliance called on the Executive to: “Agree that the Union Flag is flown over public and civic buildings in Northern Ireland on designated days as defined by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.”
    Alliance: Sinn Fein councils should fly flag - Headlines - Belfast Newsletter

As i have said since the fleg issue started if SF/IRA and the SDLP can vote for designated days in Belfast why not everywhere...with SF/IRA's tactics making the union ever stronger it is time for them to take their rightful place as the second biggest unionist party...

Also on the issue of 'flegs'...

The flying of national flags from lampposts in Northern Ireland should be subject to state regulation, with zero tolerance of paramilitary symbols, a new community relations blueprint from the Alliance party has recommended.
    The proposals also call on the Executive to agree to fly the Union Flag from public and civic buildings on designated days.
    Read more: Flags 'subject to state regulation' - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

I would be all for some form of regulations re fleg flying, but it will not easy to get agreement on and at the same time i wouldn't call for a complete ban. Perhaps some form of permit for special events, like the jubilee, 12th and Fermanagh wining the 'sam was a prod' cup...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My OP is much better than yours BTB!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

feck off mine was a better OP!! lol snap ye cant!
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    feck off mine was a better OP!! lol snap ye cant!
    I bate ye by less than a minute!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

have to say fair play to alliance at least they are actually trying.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alliance: Sinn Fein councils should fly flag - Headlines - Belfast Newsletter

As i have said since the fleg issue started if SF/IRA and the SDLP can vote for designated days in Belfast why not everywhere...with SF/IRA's tactics making the union ever stronger it is time for them to take their rightful place as the second biggest unionist party...

Also on the issue of 'flegs'...

Read more: Flags 'subject to state regulation' - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

I would be all for some form of regulations re fleg flying, but it will not easy to get agreement on and at the same time i wouldn't call for a complete ban. Perhaps some form of permit for special events, like the jubilee, 12th and Fermanagh wining the 'sam was a prod' cup...
    Lol. It'll be hilariously ironic to see the Union Flag being proudly flown in Armagh and Newry in the interests of equality. I'll be sending a 'thank you' card to Sinn Fein HQ. Biggest own goal in NI politics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtBilko View Post
    Lol. It'll be hilariously ironic to see the Union Flag being proudly flown in Armagh and Newry in the interests of equality. i'll be sending a 'thank you' card to Sinn Fein HQ. Biggest own goal in NI politics?
    No, that would be the loyal FM losing his east Belfast seat to Alliance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

have to say fair play to alliance at least they are actually trying.
    True, could be a case of trying to please everyone and ending up with no friends.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtBilko View Post
    Lol. It'll be hilariously ironic to see the Union Flag being proudly flown in Armagh and Newry in the interests of equality. i'll be sending a 'thank you' card to Sinn Fein HQ. Biggest own goal in NI politics?
    I actually think this has legs, but regardless of which issue it comes from SF are slowly painting themselves into a corner. There are only so many things one can take away before one has to ether give back or remove one's own. Illegal IRA shrines will be on the agenda soon and we will see some back tracking and flipping over that...

Page 1 of 114 123451151101 ... LastLast