Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: tony blair comes out against uk leaving europe (but in favour of reform)

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Wexford
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default tony blair comes out against uk leaving europe (but in favour of reform)

    reform is kind of a no-brainer and not at all opposed to being part of europe. he cites uk business leaders as the biggest ally in the debate to keep the uk in europe (they are indeed already starting to come out to say the uncertainty around uk eu membership is a barrier to investment)

    interestingly Tony Blair doesnt believe the majority of uk citizens are anti europe, instead he cites a vocal minority and an anti europe narrative in the british media. the vocal minority is something that exists everywhere, and even when they talk nonsense and are offensive it's probably a good thing they exist.

    the media thing is more concerning as that distorts the debate. as we know british media is dominated by special business interests and the bbc, with its over sensitive view to criticism, is ineffective in its role to inform, partially successful at educating and out manouevered in its role to entertain.

    I share this concern for ireland. english media is a mess and we're almost as bad. we have no national strategy to protect journalism or inform the public of matters in a high quality, but impartial way of relevant news. instead we have some clearly unfounded assumption that business tycoons who run the media for profit, who are in a position to use the media to push agendas favourable to the profitability of their investment portfolio, instead choose to run the media to protect the interests of an ordinary person trying to maintain quality of life for his family

    Interview on Britain and Europe with Former Prime Minister Tony Blair - SPIEGEL ONLINE

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Bea C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tralee
    Posts
    24,141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Jesus, is he trying to work reverse psychology or what?
    After all, tomorrow is another day.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southfork
    Posts
    49,380
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Well the pro-Europe side is also "dominated by special interests".
    Real News.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cylon-occupied Caprica
    Posts
    3,658
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dancl2000 View Post
    interestingly Tony Blair doesnt believe the majority of uk citizens are anti europe, instead he cites a vocal minority and an anti europe narrative in the british media.
    The radical shift towards staying in the EU in UK opinion polls over the last 6 weeks would seem to back up this view.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    26,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Neo-Corporatist war criminal is pro-EU,

    Well I never

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member SilverSpurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    One foot in and one foot out
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dancl2000 View Post
    reform is kind of a no-brainer and not at all opposed to being part of europe. he cites uk business leaders as the biggest ally in the debate to keep the uk in europe (they are indeed already starting to come out to say the uncertainty around uk eu membership is a barrier to investment)

    interestingly Tony Blair doesnt believe the majority of uk citizens are anti europe, instead he cites a vocal minority and an anti europe narrative in the british media. the vocal minority is something that exists everywhere, and even when they talk nonsense and are offensive it's probably a good thing they exist.

    the media thing is more concerning as that distorts the debate. as we know british media is dominated by special business interests and the bbc, with its over sensitive view to criticism, is ineffective in its role to inform, partially successful at educating and out manouevered in its role to entertain.

    I share this concern for ireland. english media is a mess and we're almost as bad. we have no national strategy to protect journalism or inform the public of matters in a high quality, but impartial way of relevant news. instead we have some clearly unfounded assumption that business tycoons who run the media for profit, who are in a position to use the media to push agendas favourable to the profitability of their investment portfolio, instead choose to run the media to protect the interests of an ordinary person trying to maintain quality of life for his family

    Interview on Britain and Europe with Former Prime Minister Tony Blair - SPIEGEL ONLINE
    Well creating Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt will the backbone of the Yes campaign in 2017. It worked a treat in 1975 but I don't think it will be so effective this time as a number of key factors have changed.

    1- The filibuster that denied anti-EEC campaigners the oxygen of publicity will be missing.
    2- The Murdoch press which backed a yes in 1975 is now eurosceptic.
    3- Europhiles made idiots of themselves over their F.U.D. regarding the euro.
    4- The loony left won't be able to sink the No campaign as the main parties now have eurosceptic rumps + UKIP.
    5- EU membership is costing the UK a fortune.
    6- Mass immigration from eastern europe.
    7- Many business leaders are now eurosceptic especially those representing S.M.E's

    The BBC will try its best but unless David Cameron comes back with real concessions a Brixit looks very likely.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member SilverSpurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    One foot in and one foot out
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tubbs View Post
    The radical shift towards staying in the EU in UK opinion polls over the last 6 weeks would seem to back up this view.

    The F.U.D. of europhiles has been getting a free pass lately. Once its challenged polls will swing back.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cylon-occupied Caprica
    Posts
    3,658
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpurs View Post
    The F.U.D. of europhiles has been getting a free pass lately. Once its challenged polls will swing back.
    An insipid 6-week campaign by the pathetic group of europhiles in UK business and in Parliament managed to overturn 15 years of constant all-pervasive euroscepticism.

    What does that tell you about the likelihood of the polls swinging back?

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member RobertW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    20,477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpurs View Post
    The BBC will try its best but unless David Cameron comes back with real concessions a Brixit looks very likely.
    Not going to happen. . . Cameron will campaign for a Yes vote to remain in the EU if still leader of the Conservative Party.

    The Lib Dems and their supporters are strongly pro-EU as are the majority in the Labour Party.

    There simply aren't enough No voters.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cylon-occupied Caprica
    Posts
    3,658
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    Not going to happen. . . Cameron will campaign for a Yes vote to remain in the EU if still leader of the Conservative Party
    And if Cameron is deposed (boo-hoo), all of the alternative leaders - Johnson, Osborne, Gove, May, Hammond - are very likely to campaign for an "In" vote as well.

    It's easy for hordes of braying backbench has-beens to campaign for a No vote, but it's not so easy for people who hold office, aspire to office, or have to take responsible decisions and deal with extremely unhappy business donors etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •