Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Sinn Fein candidate apparent in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown[Local elections]

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default No Sinn Fein candidate apparent in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown[Local elections]

The local elections are coming into sharper focus now.

In Dun Laoghaire FF have launched a shiny new candidate Jennifer Cuffe with a four page glossy mag. and loads of photographs of her with "important people"-she'll surely take a seat at the locals.

What puzzles me is where is SF -despite its outward rep. there is a substantial working class vote in and around Dunlaoghaire -Shankill N, Bray N., Ballybrack, Sallynoggin and quite a few other pockets sprinkled around.

Even Eoin O'Broin a notoriously poor electoral performer managed to scrape together 1,200 first preferences in the 2007 election -where are the young SF hopefuls?

If they ever want to get into power they’d need to be taking a seat in a 4-seater. The way to do that is run good candidates in the locals.

Cad tá amú?
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    The local elections are coming into sharper focus now.

In Dun Laoghaire FF have launched a shiny new candidate Jennifer Cuffe with a four page glossy mag. and loads of photographs of her with "important people"-she'll surely take a seat at the locals.
    Could she possibly be related to Ciaran Cuffe? I suppose the Greens fell for FF's charms, ultimately destroying themselves in the process, so anything is possible.

What puzzles me is where is SF -despite its outward rep. there is a substantial working class vote in and around Dunlaoghaire -Shankill N, Bray N., Ballybrack, Sallynoggin and quite a few other pockets sprinkled around.
    Oh yes, but it's not known as The Royal Borough for nothing. There's a Royal British Legion club and all (I've been in it, admiring the portrait of Her Majesty behind the bar while being served by a heavily tattooed former squaddie). As for the southern part of the constituency i.e. Bray north, Shankill, Ballybrack etc, there's no doubt that SF's anti-establishment position would be attractive to quite a few people, and not all of them in the more deprived areas either.

Even Eoin O'Broin a notoriously poor electoral performer managed to scrape together 1,200 first preferences in the 2007 election -where are the young SF hopefuls?
    O'Broin polled over 5,000 in Dublin Mid-west in 2011 AFAIK, so I have a feeling you may have missed what was a credible performance on his part. He's actually, in my view, one of the best of SF's 'younger' generation (he comes across as younger than he is).

If they ever want to get into power they’d need to be taking a seat in a 4-seater. The way to do that is run good candidates in the locals.

Cad tá amú?
    I agree that they should be running candidates in this constituency and some of its wards in the locals. I'd like to know the reasoning behind their uncharacteristic shyness hereabouts. I'm willing enough to lend my vote to RB Barrett again, but there's room here for another political representative of the riff-raff hated by FF, FG and, apparently, Labour.

SF probably don't have a traditional infrastructure on the ground here, which would be useful in the locals, but I'd give O'Broin a vote in whatever election he stood for if he returned to these parts to compete.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onlyasking View Post
    Could she possibly be related to Ciaran Cuffe? I suppose the Greens fell for FF's charms, ultimately destroying themselves in the process, so anything is possible.

Oh yes, but it's not known as The Royal Borough for nothing. There's a Royal British Legion club and all (I've been in it, admiring the portrait of Her Majesty behind the bar while being served by a heavily tattooed former squaddie). As for the southern part of the constituency i.e. Bray north, Shankill, Ballybrack etc, there's no doubt that SF's anti-establishment position would be attractive to quite a few people, and not all of them in the more deprived areas either.

O'Broin polled over 5,000 in Dublin Mid-west in 2011 AFAIK, so I have a feeling you may have missed what was a credible performance on his part. He's actually, in my view, one of the best of SF's 'younger' generation (he comes across as younger than he is).

I agree that they should be running candidates in this constituency and some of its wards in the locals. I'd like to know the reasoning behind their uncharacteristic shyness hereabouts. I'm willing enough to lend my vote to RB Barrett again, but there's room here for another political representative of the riff-raff hated by FF, FG and, apparently, Labour.

SF probably don't have a traditional infrastructure on the ground here, which would be useful in the locals, but I'd give O'Broin a vote in whatever election he stood for if he returned to these parts to compete.
    I mssed that DMW performance that is a good return. SF do seem to have supporters locally but no one ever runs ffor the Council -strange one.
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

IEL has old election results. The only time they came close to taking a seat in the area was in 1985 when Kevin Fitzpatrick polled 1,000 votes and missed out on the last seat.

I'd say it's right at the bottom in terms of targeted areas. Lack of some sort of party infrastructure and also the fact that PbP seems to have that vote taken are the reasons.
    Old Local Election Results « Irish Election Literature

Quote Originally Posted by onlyasking View Post
    Oh yes, but it's not known as The Royal Borough for nothing.
    It's difficult to escape that impression. Dun Laoghaire is like a little bit of south England planted in Ireland (East pier is lovely by the way).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the local rep is Shane Connolly O'Brien.

He has been organising public meetings and events. Keep your eyes open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Apart from a couple of facebook mentions the lad has no profile on t'internet- we certainly don't know him-could do with a website of his own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Keep dreaming Perecles...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by democrat View Post
    Keep dreaming Perecles...
    ?

Seemingly its all part of the reunification of ireland agreement. The six counties get reunited with southern Ireland and the unionists get to live and rule in dun laoghaire and rathdown.

Everyones happy ma'am.
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually, moderate unionists would be most welcome in Dun Laoghaire - and in many other southern constituencies.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast