Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Times article on reforms of PS

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Irish Times article on reforms of PS

Troika concern over focus on debt deal - The Irish Times - Mon, Jan 28, 2013

'Other unpublished figures showed that Ireland had the largest increase in the public wage bill of all EU countries between numbers and wages since 2000 but that public sector pay cuts since then have been markedly smaller than other programme countries such as Portugal and Spain.'

To all the PS pay defenders on this forum, are you really sure there have been substantial pay cuts in the Irish Public Service? We are arguably in a far worse financial state than Spain and Portugal but our PS have taken markedly smaller pay cuts!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll bite, before this goes to zoo.
    What pay cuts have PS workers in Spain and Portugal taken?

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dohville View Post
    I'll bite, before this goes to zoo.
    What pay cuts have PS workers in Spain and Portugal taken?
    Does it matter? What matters is that we do what's right for Ireland - a country where 55% of the cost of employing "high" earners' goes to the government already.
    The more things change....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    Does it matter? What matters is that we do what's right for Ireland - a country where 55% of the cost of employing "high" earners' goes to the government already.
    SO, we shouldn't debate points raised in the OP?
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jizzlepops View Post
    Troika concern over focus on debt deal - The Irish Times - Mon, Jan 28, 2013

'Other unpublished figures showed that Ireland had the largest increase in the public wage bill of all EU countries between numbers and wages since 2000 but that public sector pay cuts since then have been markedly smaller than other programme countries such as Portugal and Spain.'

To all the PS pay defenders on this forum, are you really sure there have been substantial pay cuts in the Irish Public Service? We are arguably in a far worse financial state than Spain and Portugal but our PS have taken markedly smaller pay cuts!
    Another quote from the article would suggest that the Troika's interest (unlike the Government's, some would say) isn't just focused on the more powerless, "everyday" public servant -

Troika staff have focused on the public sector pay bill in recent months. The core argument is that cutting numbers is not enough. The commission noted that Irish medical consultants were the highest paid in the EU for their public work, being paid twice the rate in the UK.
    Though I'm sure many medical consultants would bridle at being called "servants", public or otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui2 View Post
    Another quote from the article would suggest that the Troika's interest (unlike the Government's, some would say) isn't just focused on the more powerless, "everyday" public servant -

Though I'm sure many medical consultants would bridle at being called "servants", public or otherwise.
    There seems to be no government appetite for change regarding state-sponsored professions. The Troika need to breathe some fire on this front. I think they would have the political cover to do so. How many people would protest the undemocratic over-reaching of the IMF if it forced the government to review the public pay of hospital consultants?

Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well my contribution to this would be this.
    as i said in the passed and indeed told to a few folks here in kerry in political circles. the government would be best placed to cap all public wages at 60-65k a year with a reform with income tax in order to manage public pay best for a country the size of Ireland. alas every time i say this folk run a mile.
    sWk
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    There seems to be no government appetite for change regarding state-sponsored professions. Troika need to breathe some free on this front. I think they would have the political cover to do so. How many people would protest the undemocratic over-reaching of the IMF if it forced the government to review the public pay of hospital consultants?
    Very, very few, I would imagine - outside the ranks of related professions who saw themselves as possibly being next on the hitlist.

Unfortunately (for us, I hasten to add) this would include many deeply patriotic politicians.

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    SO, we shouldn't debate points raised in the OP?
    No!

We should listen to "sources" and do whatever they say.

well-placed sources, has shown there is concern that promised radical reform has flagged in recent months.

Sources say the Government has portrayed a deal on the promissory note as a “panacea” for all the State’s problems, resulting in a slowing of the reform moment.

The sources have pointed to

For sources read vested interests.
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    There seems to be no government appetite for change regarding state-sponsored professions. The Troika need to breathe some fire on this front. I think they would have the political cover to do so. How many people would protest the undemocratic over-reaching of the IMF if it forced the government to review the public pay of hospital consultants?
    The IMF aren't too shy about their own remuneration:

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/...webtable54.pdf

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast