Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: And our retail numbers go from bad to worse.

Default And our retail numbers go from bad to worse.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/rel...medium=twitter

This is an absolute SHOCKER.

There were FOUR pre-Christmas weekends in December and the weather was much better than a year earlier and still retail numbers are going down. Our domestic economy has not been is this bad a shape in the last 25 years and there's absolutely nothing on the horizon to suggest things are going to change.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is anyone suprised after another austerity budget?

VAT is too high. Impending property taxes, water taxes, septic tank charges, higher PRSI, feck all jobs and no light at the end of the tunnel has consumer sentiment depressed and therefore the retail sector is going to take a hit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

I'm restoring an old bike at the moment and it needs a new part. About 30 quid from the UK. 6 months ago I'd have just bought it, but I've been agonising over this purchase fopr weeks now. €30 represents some other more important purchases that I have to buy, like food and petrol. That part is just going to have to wait.
    A few weeks before my grandfather died, he started dipping his feet in a bucket of lard.
    He went downhill very fast after that.

Which bit is the shocker? I don't see anything shocking.
    Redacted.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The fools in government have still not copped on to the fact that no country has ever taxed its way out of recession. Ever.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most consumers have enough stuff already...

I think many are going on strike... and understandably so...

Anyone who wants to get us back to the rampant consumerism of the 'boom' is mad...

There's too many shops and therefore failures are inevitable... and particularly so when the government's plan seems to be to screw everyone relentlessly while keeping much of the 'state' and the quangos etc. in the publicly funded clover to which they've become accustomed...

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aindriu View Post
    The fools in government have still not copped on to the fact that no country has ever taxed its way out of recession. Ever.
    They're like rabbits in headlights... unable to think or do anything else...

This was always going to be the outcome... eventually...

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The volume of retail sales (i.e. excluding price effects) decreased by 0.1% in
    December 2012 when compared with November 2012 while there was an annual
    decrease of 1.0%. If Motor Trades are excluded, the volume of retail sales
    increased by 0.8% in December 2012 when compared with November 2012 and
    there was also an annual increase of 0.8%.

The sectors with the largest month on month volume increases are Department
    Stores (+6.3%), Bars (+4.4%) and Books, Newspapers & Stationery (+3.4%).The
    sectors with the largest monthly decreases were Furniture and Lighting (-7.1%)
    and Other Retail Sales (-3.1%).

There was no change in the value of retail sales in December 2012 when compared
    with November 2012 (0.0%) and there was an annual decrease of 0.7%. If Motor
    Trades are excluded, there was a monthly increase of 0.3% in the value of retail
    sales and an annual increase of 1.1%.
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    There were FOUR pre-Christmas weekends in December and the weather was much better than a year earlier and still retail numbers are going down. Our domestic economy has not been is this bad a shape in the last 25 years and there's absolutely nothing on the horizon to suggest things are going to change.
    Another ten years of austerity budgets egged on by the Neo-liberal communists of big banking, will change a few more things alright.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast