Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: US Justice - a strange strange beast.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default US Justice - a strange strange beast.

Most of ye will be aware of the case of an Irish nanny in Boston who is facing charges over the death of a baby in her care a few weeks ago.

I'm not concerned in this thread with the specifics of the case. Many of these have yet to emerge. What I am concerned with is the manner in which this case - and other high profile cases - get handled by the respective legal teams.

People here will be familiar with the concept of evidence being sub judice; i.e. being kept under wraps, not being discussed in public forums until such time as it is appropriate, usually during the actual court case. And the Irish media is usually happy to go along with this.

In the USA, the defendant has hardly been arraigned before the judge and both sides are rushing down the steps of the courthouse to hold up the other side's dirty linen for the world to see.

What is the point of this unseemly and undignified spectacle? It might influence public opinion but the public won't be the ones deciding guilt or innocence: that'll be left to the jury.

Of course, there is also the court case itself. There may be cameras in the courtroom and that gives the media extra scope for keeping the circus going. The jury is analysed, statements and testimonies get parsed by TV journalists as to their effectiveness rather than their veracity, lawyers play to the gallery knowing that this is their chance to hit the big time.

Is it just me or is one thing forgotten in all this drama? That little thing called justice?

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Showbusiness trumps justice in the US.

In Ireland, the needs of vested interests trump the needs of showbusiness.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its America. Everythings entertainment, including justice. Its only a matter of time before she's accused of being part of an Illumanati plot to murder innocent children.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sking81 View Post
    Its America. Everythings entertainment, including justice. Its only a matter of time before she's accused of being part of an Illumanati plot to murder innocent children.
    Oh yes, I forgot that tactic. You keep upping the ante and throwing wilder and wilder accusations at the other side to keep them wrong footed.

Custody cases.....shudder.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Totally agree with the OP, it's so so wrong.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I find it fascinating that Showbusiness in this country is certain that she did not do it.

In a way, this is even worse. The case has not even started, and the Irish media are whipping up a frenzy of the falsely acussed victim. What do they know that the prosecution does not know ?

This is just green jersey nonsense. The Irish media don't do objectivity.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    I find it fascinating that Showbusiness in this country is certain that she did not do it.

In a way, this is even worse. The case has not even started, and the Irish media are whipping up a frenzy of the falsely acussed victim. What do they know that the prosecution does not know ?

This case will end up as the equivilant of the Irish OJ Simpson case by the time its done. Frankly I dont know if she did it or not, and dont care to speculate. One way or another a child is dead, the point of the case should be to establish whether or not the woman in question carried out or had a hand in that-the role of the Irish media will be irrelevant in the way this plays out. The US media however...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iphonista View Post
    Most of ye will be aware of the case of an Irish nanny in Boston who is facing charges over the death of a baby in her care a few weeks ago.

I'm not concerned in this thread with the specifics of the case. Many of these have yet to emerge. What I am concerned with is the manner in which this case - and other high profile cases - get handled by the respective legal teams.

People here will be familiar with the concept of evidence being sub judice; i.e. being kept under wraps, not being discussed in public forums until such time as it is appropriate, usually during the actual court case. And the Irish media is usually happy to go along with this.

In the USA, the defendant has hardly been arraigned before the judge and both sides are rushing down the steps of the courthouse to hold up the other side's dirty linen for the world to see.

What is the point of this unseemly and undignified spectacle? It might influence public opinion but the public won't be the ones deciding guilt or innocence: that'll be left to the jury.

Of course, there is also the court case itself. There may be cameras in the courtroom and that gives the media extra scope for keeping the circus going. The jury is analysed, statements and testimonies get parsed by TV journalists as to their effectiveness rather than their veracity, lawyers play to the gallery knowing that this is their chance to hit the big time.

Is it just me or is one thing forgotten in all this drama? That little thing called justice?
    The full facts are not yet known but its sounding like shaken baby syndrome. I think other older injuries have also been reported. A British nanny was accused of much the same thing I thought then that the evidence didn't support a guilty verdict but I also thought a little thing like lack of evidence would not get in the way of an American hate fest.

Extraordinary country not so much for getting verdicts wrong from time to time, all countries do that, but America seems to turn a trial into showbiz and the spectacle is unsettling. I hope the accused is getting help from our embassy and has enough money to pay for an expensive trial. Its showbiz and money every time.
    Its Up to ME

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

That's not my impression. I think they've been quite evenhanded - the articles I've seen anyway.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pippakin View Post
    I hope the accused is getting help from our embassy and has enough money to pay for an expensive trial. Its showbiz and money every time.
    A nanny and an illegal up against a family that can afford in house baby sitters? What are her chances?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast