Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What mechanism can the UK use to renegotiate EU membership?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What mechanism can the UK use to renegotiate EU membership?

I am asking a different question to the previous thread on the UK and the EU. As I understand it the EU is formed on binding international treaties. If the UK is trying to renegotiate terms the whole community is entitled to renegotiate those treaties and we are looking at referenda for years to come. Equally, the membership could take the line that these are signed up to and the only option for the UK is the exit door. What mechanism allows Cameron to think a renegotiation is possible?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The same way Greenland left. There is precedent.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe Money ?

The EU is running out of it. And England is the second largest net donor after Germany.

Will the Brussels nonsense factory issue a decree to grow more money from the magic money tree ?
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 44percent View Post
    I am asking a different question to the previous thread on the UK and the EU. As I understand it the EU is formed on binding international treaties. If the UK is trying to renegotiate terms the whole community is entitled to renegotiate those treaties and we are looking at referenda for years to come. Equally, the membership could take the line that these are signed up to and the only option for the UK is the exit door. What mechanism allows Cameron to think a renegotiation is possible?
    They could leave tomorrow if they wanted and Cameron could get it past Parliament

That's not going to happen of course

But Britain is one of the more powerful members and holds a lot of clout

There will be some serious horse trading done

- but the end result will be

- that Britain will in effect be an Associate member state of the EU
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought this whole 'In or Out' carry on was just political posturing by a PM with an eye to the threat from the UKIP. Does the UK really want to leave the EU?
    Stand there in silence, look up to the sky and remember how brave they were.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
    I thought this whole 'In or Out' carry on was just political posturing by a PM with an eye to the threat from the UKIP. Does the UK really want to leave the EU?
    The government certainly doesn't, the UK public almost certainly does, at this point. As to mechanism, yes, Cameron has to persuade the rest of the members to either reopen the treaties, or to agree a series of derogations/opt-outs for the UK.
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
    Many of them do

- realistically they are not going to walk out and close the door behind them

But they will not accept much more from the the Brussels Junta either...

They want a New Deal
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ibis View Post

The government certainly doesn't, the UK public almost certainly does, at this point. As to mechanism, yes, Cameron has to persuade the rest of the members to either reopen the treaties, or to agree a series of derogations/opt-outs for the UK.
    Ok. So if the treaties are opened, they are opened to all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ibis View Post
    ... while the popular opinion in some of the other countries is that "Yes, let's start the renegating from that rebate of yours."

We're living in interesting times.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The UK could threaten to propose Gordon Calamity Brown as an EU Commisar.

That should bring them to compromise very quickly. Though I suppose the British people would be disgusted, at seeing Mr. Boom&Bust back in power over anything bigger than a henhouse.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast