Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics is not a Career.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Politics is not a Career.

....Or, it shouldn't be.

It ought to be an honour to serve your people and make the tough decisions needed with both eyes at the task at hand, not on the next election.

But, alas, that is not the case here in Ireland.

Irish politicians nearly all act in a self-interest manner. Everything they say and do is all geared towards a re-election bid next time out. This is holding the country back in the gutter. The tough decisions are not being taken because of the voter deficit it would entail. This parish pump led politics is keeping the country down because we have no real leaders in power.

Look at the government U-Turns since they came to power:
    Hogan does U-turn on alarm cuts after causing 'distress' to elderly - National News - Independent.ie
    Connaught Telegraph - Fine Gael perform surprise U-turn on cash strapped hospital stance
    Government does U-turn on cutbacks for the disabled - The Irish Times - Wed, Sep 05, 2012

What these illustrate is that the government will bow to any pressure which may threaten their future electoral performance. Now I am not saying that the above examples were 'needed' for the good of the country, but it simply highlights the short term focus of Ireland's leaders.

This rot was evident from the first day of the new government. Labour, chose to enter a coalition with FG. Had they refused, Labour would be the main opposition party with a weak FG led government. Gilmore would have been next Taoiseach. But...career politics created many a fuzzy eye at the Labour Party's HQ.
    Gilmore, Rabbitte, Burton, Quinn and Howlin had to get into power before it was too late.

Good of the party, and especially the country not even considered.

Politicians need to know that they are elected by the people to make the best decisions for the term they were elected to. They should not use that term to seek re-election by playing stroke politics. They should be judged from hard work and determination, not how many funerals you attend or how many passports you processed.

It is simply not a career.

It is an honour and the sooner they realise that, perhaps the sooner we will make the right, tough decisions that are needed to get our country back on the road to recovery.

I await attacks by party shills, but I do this knowing, I put my opinions into writing.

Rus.

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Elected public representives- career Vs vocation". </Mod>
    Last edited by stringjack; 3rd March 2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Merged thread.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    ....Or, it shouldn't be.

It ought to be an honour to serve your people and make the tough decisions needed with both eyes at the task at hand, not on the next election.

But, alas, that is not the case here in Ireland.

Irish politicians nearly all act in a self-interest manner. Everything they say and do is all geared towards a re-election bid next time out. This is holding the country back in the gutter. The tough decisions are not being taken because of the voter deficit it would entail. This parish pump led politics is keeping the country down because we have no real leaders in power.

Look at the government U-Turns since they came to power:
    Hogan does U-turn on alarm cuts after causing 'distress' to elderly - National News - Independent.ie
    Connaught Telegraph - Fine Gael perform surprise U-turn on cash strapped hospital stance
    Government does U-turn on cutbacks for the disabled - The Irish Times - Wed, Sep 05, 2012

What these illustrate is that the government will bow to any pressure which may threaten their future electoral performance. Now I am not saying that the above examples were 'needed' for the good of the country, but it simply highlights the short term focus of Ireland's leaders.

This rot was evident from the first day of the new government. Labour, chose to enter a coalition with FG. Had they refused, Labour would be the main opposition party with a weak FG led government. Gilmore would have been next Taoiseach. But...career politics created many a fuzzy eye at the Labour Party's HQ.
    Gilmore, Rabbitte, Burton, Quinn and Howlin had to get into power before it was too late.

Good of the party, and especially the country not even considered.

Politicians need to know that they are elected by the people to make the best decisions for the term they were elected to. They should not use that term to seek re-election by playing stroke politics. They should be judged from hard work and determination, not how many funerals you attend or how many passports you processed.

It is simply not a career.

It is an honour and the sooner they realise that, perhaps the sooner we will make the right, tough decisions that are needed to get our country back on the road to recovery.

I await attacks by party shills, but I do this knowing, I put my opinions into writing.

Rus.
    Why would you think being a politician is an honour? I would think it is a job.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUnited View Post
    Why would you think being a politician is an honour? I would think it is a job.
    To be chosen by your people to make their decisions is an honour. It is, because they have put trust in you to act on their behalf to the best of your ability.
    A job simply creates a focus of constantly needing to be re-elected to keep 'your job'. That is where the problems begin, along with sub-optimal decisions.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Politics should not be a cancer? Read Johnny 365 last thread. It's sick

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To be chosen by your people to make their decisions is an honour. It is, because they have put trust in you to act on their behalf to the best of your ability.
    A job simply creates a focus of constantly needing to be re-elected to keep 'your job'. That is where the problems begin, along with sub-optimal decisions.
    You put your trust in a lot of professions to make decisions for you. Doctors for ex. Surely a career politician has experience?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUnited View Post
    You put your trust in a lot of professions to make decisions for you. Doctors for ex. Surely a career politician has experience?
    Doctors who are in it for personal gain never last in the profession. It requires people to be dedicated to the cause and totally committed to the patients. I cannot say that for career politicians.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doctors who are in it for personal gain never last in the profession. It requires people to be dedicated to the cause and totally committed to the patients. I cannot say that for career politicians.
    Well maybe you can't, but then how many politicians careers have you looked at? there are good docs and bad docs, same as any other profession including politicians.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irish politicians nearly all act in a self-interest manner. Everything they say and do is all geared towards a re-election bid next time out. This is holding the country back in the gutter.
    That's a moronic statement.

Politicians make promises they can't keep, or indulge in rampant populism, because that's the only way to get elected.

There are plenty of candidates out there who don't make promises or indulge in populism, but guess what, you've never heard of any of them, because none of them have even gotten more than a few hundred votes.

Politicians aren't holding the country back. The electorate is.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by goosebump View Post
    That's a moronic statement.

Politicians make promises they can't keep, or indulge in rampant populism, because that's the only way to get elected.

There are plenty of candidates out there who don't make promises or indulge in populism, but guess what, you've never heard of any of them, because none of them have even gotten more than a few hundred votes.

Politicians aren't holding the country back. The electorate is.
    The electorate votes for parties who make these promises. Yes, the electorate should take more responsibility but when the established parties create a monopoly of the vote based on false promises, the electorate is left little alternative.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The electorate votes for parties who make these promises. Yes, the electorate should take more responsibility but when the established parties create a monopoly of the vote based on false promises, the electorate is left little alternative.
    A voter always has an alternative. If they don't like what's on offer, they can run themselves. That's what a democracy is.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast