Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine price differential between UK and Ireland

Default Magazine price differential between UK and Ireland

So, I make my regular purchase of a well-known UK soccer magazine (using part of a gift card) and the price comes to 6.16, compared to 4.10 in England. Of course, one must adjust for currency conversion, but even then that amounts to a 20% mark-up - partly attributable to export costs and the retailers take, or solely down to the VAT rate on such items?
    My political compass:
    Economic Left/Right: -5.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Foreign Affairs priced in pounds at 9.99 but when I came to pay in Easons at Dublin Airport 15.99 in Euro.

More handling and logistics you do adds up to an increased price.

Subscription should have a huge difference.

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Foreign Affairs priced in pounds at 9.99 but when I came to pay in Easons at Dublin Airport 15.99 in Euro.
    Buy the Kindle version; €3.49 per issue. 12 month subscription.
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Why not get Bella or Womens weekly as they will update you with whatever Foreign Affairs of the stars you want

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FloatingVoterTralee View Post
    So, I make my regular purchase of a well-known UK soccer magazine (using part of a gift card) and the price comes to €6.16, compared to 4.10 in England. Of course, one must adjust for currency conversion, but even then that amounts to a 20% mark-up - partly attributable to export costs and the retailers take, or solely down to the VAT rate on such items?
    Thedistributors (usually Eason's) will tell you that it reflects the exchange rate at a given moment in time (never specified).

It's worth taking care when buying magazines and books.

A few years ago my wife bought an Eddie Hobbs book and I noticed that there was an RRP printed on the back cover, with a price sticker showing a significantly higher sales price. I brought it to the shop, who said that the increased price reflected the standard markup for an English publication sold in Ireland. I pointed out that the book was written, printed, published and distributed inIrelnd solely for an Irish audience.

They accepted the error, refunded me the whole price and took down their Irish books for repricing.

Point I learned was that rather than there being some sort of fluctuating exchange rate factor, this seemed to be based on a formula.

Ironic that the book was by Mr Hobbs.

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So, I make my regular purchase of a well-known UK soccer magazine (using part of a gift card) and the price comes to €6.16, compared to 4.10 in England. Of course, one must adjust for currency conversion, but even then that amounts to a 20% mark-up - partly attributable to export costs and the retailers take, or solely down to the VAT rate on such items?
    Is Shoot available online?

(just kidding, but is 442 or whatever mag you buy online?)
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

VAT difference betwen 17.5 & 23 percent so that makes up a bit of it, but much would be logistical and marginal...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

...because they can...

The Irish Times is significantly cheaper in the UK than in Ireland.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

So, I make my regular purchase of a well-known UK soccer magazine (using part of a gift card) and the price comes to 6.16, compared to 4.10 in England. Of course, one must adjust for currency conversion, but even then that amounts to a 20% mark-up - partly attributable to export costs and the retailers take, or solely down to the VAT rate on such items?
    Whatever it is, its not all to do with items outside the control of the retailer like VAT etc. Its pure profiteering.

Local mshop I pass in the mornings wont be getting my custom anymore and they now know it. Before Christmas they charged 2.10 for one of those 500ml tubs of natural yogurt. This morning it was 2.80. They recently did up the shop; so I'm guessing thats what I'm paying for.

But back to the magazines, was at the airport once an d bought a magazine, cant remember which one now. But it had a euro price and a much lower sterling price even after conversion and vat differential etc. So I asked them why the difference and they game me some baloney answer. So I took out sterling coins to pay for it in the exact amount and they refused to take it...in the bloody airport. A Q was forming and I knew the next couple of people heard me so I didn't push it any further so I left the mag on the counter.

I dont do that often enough, you know, that kind of protest. I think more people should sacrifice their little treats or bits and pieces for the sake of making a stand against price gouging...and any other thing where that would be appropriate.

We take it so we get it I suppose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast