Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Organised Crime in Ireland: What can be done?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Organised Crime in Ireland: What can be done?

We've been here before. In the wake of Veronica Guerin's and Jerry McCabe's deaths Governments moved quickly to introduce new legislation to help Gardai deal with criminal/terrorist organisations. Governments like to be seen "doing something". It's likely that the current Government will move to do something following last night's brutal murder of a Garda. So, what should they do?

Well, the Gardai already know a great deal about the structure of organised crime in Ireland. Just last November the Garda Commissioner spoke to the Oireachtas Justice Committee. He stated that there were about 25 organised crime gangs (OCG's) in Ireland. Each OCG typically had between 6 and 12 leading members - 300 leading gang members in Ireland. We're not overwhelmed with serious criminals in Ireland but they seem to have the run of the place.

I think there's a few things which can and should be done:-

-The Government should legislate to introduce 30 day detention for those suspected of engaging in organised criminal activity. Taking those people off the streets for a significant period of time would give Gardai the time and space to investigate their activities and might encourage those with informaiton to speak to Gardai. We have plenty of empty army barracks througout the country. We should put the space to good use.

-Focus should be placed on the "white collar" crooks who provide support services to the OCG's - accountants and lawyers etc. I don't recall anyone being convicted for aiding and abetting OCG's despite the fact that the OCG's could not function without them. Anti-Money Laundering legislation currently on the statute books should be reviewed and amended if necessary.

-Search warrant legislation should be amended to allow Gardai follow leads generated during one search without them having to go back to the Courts for another search warrant i.e. search warrants should be person specific rather than place specific.

-The government should allocate some of the capital budget to developing the Gardai's IT resources. Over the coming days the Govt will be attacked for cutting Gardai numbers and closing Garda Stations. They should not be distracted by that. Instead, they should urgently review how the NYPD use technology to fight crime and move quickly to adopt the same practices to Ireland.

FG is traditionally seen as the Law and Order Party. The next few weeks and months will confirm if that's a myth or not.

Callinan: 25 organised crime gangs in country | Irish Examiner

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/...B-0144-01F.pdf
    I care about all sorts of crap.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LDF View Post
    I think there's a few things which can and should be done:-

-The Government should legislate to introduce 30 day detention for those suspected of engaging in organised criminal activity. Taking those people off the streets for a significant period of time would give Gardai the time and space to investigate their activities and might encourage those with informaiton to speak to Gardai. We have plenty of empty army barracks througout the country. We should put the space to good use.

Can't agree with this. It's open to wide sprad abuse.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why get rid of organized crime ? It would be a retrograde step that would undermine the aggregate gravy train of the legal profession....
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TimBuckII View Post
    Can't agree with this. It's open to wide sprad abuse.
    Not necessarily. The individuals detained would not be detained for the purposes of questioning and would have access to legal representation. A lot of people who oppose longer terms of detainment probably do so with reference to the historic internment practices in NI. I thnk we should get over it.

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good OP LDF.

I agree with most of what you say apart from the internment suggestion at the start.
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LDF View Post
    Not necessarily. The individuals detained would not be detained for the purposes of questioning and would have access to legal representation. A lot of people who oppose longer terms of detainment probably do so with reference to the historic internment practices in NI. I thnk we should get over it.
    Current. Not only there but in the UK and USA too. It's a political tool. If not at the start it becomes one.

Organised crime is way down the priority list. Organised banking cartels and inefficient regulators are the single biggest threat to the state.
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    Organised crime is way down the priority list. Organised banking cartels and inefficient regulators are the single biggest threat to the state.
    I think you got that the wrong way around on the priority list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    No bank manager ever shot a member of the Gardaí. Your point is populist nonsense.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Legalising drugs with strict regulation would go a long way towards eradicating crime gangs in this and every country. Likewise the sex trade. Taking the money out of the shadow economy takes away the raison d'etre of most of these gangs.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast