Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derry and Controversy

Default Derry and Controversy

Your Place And Mine - Londonderry -

Please read Michael Sheerin's post on the link above. He is Dana's uncle. Then read my reply to him.

In the celebrations for Derry city of Culture on the TV news and Nationwide I missed any mention of Josef Locke. Am I right?

Josef Locke had an amazing career. He was hugely popular in the UK till the likable rogue had trouble paying taxes.

The film "Hear My Song" touches on that aspect of his life.

As a teenager I dismissed his singing which my mother played constantly. Decades later I learnt to appreciate his amazing voice on his early and best recordings.

Edit. Please read: reply to this article, to the right on the page.
    Last edited by MauriceColgan; 26th January 2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Added photo.

Part of the Josef Locke sculpture in Derry. Not in an ideal location as it is missed by the bulk of tourists to the city.

I still think a life-sized bronze of the finest Irish tenors is long overdue. Located perhaps in Dublin, close by John Count McCormack in the Iveagh gardens?
    Last edited by MauriceColgan; 26th January 2013 at 11:14 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I actually had no idea Josef Locke was a Derryman. I'd heard the name and knew he was considered a great singer, but for some bizarre reason have gone through the last 40 years without anyone in Derry ever mentioning that he was one of ours! Bizarre really....

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    I actually had no idea Josef Locke was a Derryman. I'd heard the name and knew he was considered a great singer, but for some bizarre reason have gone through the last 40 years without anyone in Derry ever mentioning that he was one of ours! Bizarre really....
    Yes it is very strange that he was overlooked till the media in Derry took up my suggestion seriously. When I asked a journalist in Derry about Dana's uncle Michael Sheeerin he said he had never heard of him, although Sheerin told me he had been trying for years without results to get a park named in honour of the great tenor. He also told me of his sculpture plan and about the artist lined up.

Fair play, it is a nice memorial.

But Josef was a large man, an ex- Irish Guardsman, a life-sized bronze of him would be quite a striking figure. The laughing Cavalier of Song.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I lived in London my elderly neighbours – from Kerry – always spoke about seeing him sing in the early 50s in a cinema in Finsbury Park. He sang until 1.30am [when he should have stopped at 11.00pm].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Not too bad at all for his age. But I was brought up in the days he was at his prime.

Josef Locke (1917-1999) "The isle of Innisfree". 1952 - YouTube

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was a fun movie released in 1991 called Hear My Song about a guy played by Adrian Dunbar who goes on a quest to find the "long lost" Josef Locke played by Ned Beatty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear_My_Song

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch 22 View Post
    There was a fun movie released in 1991 called Hear My Song about a guy played by Adrian Dunbar who goes on a quest to find the "long lost" Josef Locke played by Ned Beatty.

[

Hear My Song - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Josef Locke was disappointed that Ned Beaty was such a small man playing him.
    Otherwise he was happy with the film.

I was once featured on the Josef Locke Appreciation website featured on the web.

Then air-brushed out.

At the time it was a great pleasure to see Derry embrace one of it's most famous sons.

I was pleased to speak about Josef Locke on BBC radio in their Dublin studio back in 2003.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast