Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Could The 1916 Rising Have Been A Success And What Would Have Happened If It Was?

Politics.ie Member General Urko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How Could The 1916 Rising Have Been A Success And What Would Have Happened If It Was?

Please don't tell me it was a success because of the British over reaction! Please don't tell me it was about a messianic shedding of blood that was virtually predesigned to end in failure!
    What if they got American support? What if the Aud got through? What if Sir Roger Casement had been more successful in recruiting Irish POWs?
    To be honest I find it very difficult to see how they could have triumphed directly due to it!
    I also believe that had they succeeded directly, a civil war would soon follow, North V South or among the rebels themselves or possibly both, which would require British intervention to stop, so back to square 1!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It would have worked if they'd taken over the ZOO first.
    As you seem determined to do.

Really, quit starting threads for a while.
    It would be easier for us all.
    Сохранить Украины

Politics.ie Member General Urko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drummed View Post
    It would have worked if they'd taken over the ZOO first.
    As you seem determined to do.

Really, quit starting threads for a while.
    It would be easier for us all.
    Genuine post asking very genuine questions!
    I am amazed that you have reached over 13,000 posts and could come up with an obscene response to such a thread!

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Urko View Post
    Please don't tell me it was a success because of the British over reaction! Please don't tell me it was about a messianic shedding of blood that was virtually predesigned to end in failure!
    What if they got American support? What if the Aud got through? What if Sir Roger Casement had been more successful in recruiting Irish POWs?
    To be honest I find it very difficult to see how they could have triumphed directly due to it!
    I also believe that had they succeeded directly, a civil war would soon follow, North V South or among the rebels themselves or possibly both, which would require British intervention to stop, so back to square 1!
    Please don't ask a question and dismiss answers in advance.

The Rising would appear to have been a success in that it achieved and surpsased the immediate goals of the initiators.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well Mr Urko, you could do with reading your own OP again and again and again and answer yourself again and again and again. What a lot of garbage.

You may read my post but only answer what I want to hear?? Go play with yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I first saw the thread title I thought what an interesting topic, I wonder if Cruimh, who although rom the Unionist tradition comes here to engage in sensible and constructive discussion not to troll, started it. Then I read further and my heart sank.
    As the fella driving the bus to Phoenix Park said: aZoo.....
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They faced overwhelming odds from an enemy already on a war footing. In essence, they paved the way for a later success, but I don't think it was planned.

The actual military planning for 1916 was not that bad despite years of revisionist history. Had the orders to rise not been countermanded, it certainly would have been a more difficult fight for the British. As it was, the insurgents acquitted themselves very well.

Lots of volunteers joined in the weeks and months after the rising, my grandfather amongst them.

The rebels achieved a huge amount, and I for one am glad that they fired ahead. I think my being an Irish citizen today owes a lot to them.

D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@DuineEile you should be proud of your grandad.
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DuineEile View Post
    They faced overwhelming odds from an enemy already on a war footing. In essence, they paved the way for a later success, but I don't think it was planned.

The actual military planning for 1916 was not that bad despite years of revisionist history. Had the orders to rise not been countermanded, it certainly would have been a more difficult fight for the British. As it was, the insurgents acquitted themselves very well.

Lots of volunteers joined in the weeks and months after the rising, my grandfather amongst them.

The rebels achieved a huge amount, and I for one am glad that they fired ahead. I think my being an Irish citizen today owes a lot to them.

D
    Your grandad had you in mind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If more men had turned out for the Rising more of the bridges over the Royal and Grand canals could have been held and British troops would have had a hard job breaking inside into the city center. Imagine a half dozen shootouts like the one at Clanwilliam House and you get the picture. If Dublin Castle and Trinity College had been taken the rebels possibly could have held out longer than at the GPO. If the Aud had made it ashore rebels could have distributed their arms around Munster and several more towns could have been taken. Thousands more British troops would have had to be diverted to Ireland and a full scale civil war between Unionists and Nationalist would probably have erupted.
    The British would have not been restrained one bit about executing thousands of Irish rebels. We would have only heard of Eamon De Valera, Michael Collins, Sean Lemass, W. T. Cosgrave and others as mere names of executed rebels. The outcome in time would probably still be something similar to the Free State and eventually an Irish Republic with partition between a republican south and a unionist north but delayed by many years.

However at the same anti-British feeling would have been much stronger due to the greater destruction and loss of life in armed conflict. In World War 2 the Irish government might have been openly supportive of the Germans rather than neutral on the side of the Allies. The Americans and British might have invaded and occupied the country. Occupation troops might have remained for decades after WW2.

Later in the 1960s if Irish nationalists in Northern Ireland were demanding their civil rights another war might have broken out with the Irish government sending troops to the north rather than staying out of it. The Russians might have supported the Irish and the conflict could have become a major flash point in the Cold War.
    The conflict would have been far more bloodier and devastating. Ireland would have been internationally isolated and impoverished. The British might have refused to accept Irish immigrants. So too might the Americans if they got involved. Without the safety valve of emigration Ireland might have been a much more populated and much poorer country in the late 20th century.
    Last edited by Hitch 22; 26th January 2013 at 12:33 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast