Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Federal Appeals Court: Obama abused his power making recess appointments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Federal Appeals Court: Obama abused his power making recess appointments

Not the best way for his second term to start off:

In a case freighted with major constitutional implications, a federal appeals court on Friday overturned President Obama’s controversial recess appointments from last year, ruling he abused his powers and acted when the Senate was not actually in a recess.

The three-judge panel’s ruling is a major blow to Mr. Obama. The judges ruled that the appointments he made to the National Labor Relations Board are illegal, and the board no longer has a quorum to operate.

But the ruling has even broader constitutional significance, with the judges arguing that the president’s recess appointment powers don’t apply to “intrasession” appointments — those made when Congress has left town for a few days or weeks.

The judges signaled the power only applies after Congress has adjourned a session permanently, which in modern times usually means only at the end of a year. If the ruling withstands Supreme Court scrutiny, it would dramatically constrain presidents in the future.
    Full story here: DEVELOPING: Obama recess appointments unconstitutional - Washington Times

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    Defend the 8th Amendment against attack by those seeking to introduce taxpayer-funded abortion on demand in Ireland. http://prolifecampaign.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This, on top of the shocking dereliction of duty by Beyonce, which happened on Obama's watch, should make him resign immediately.

PS Bush made a recess appointment of that stupid neocon Bolton to the UN because he could not even drum up Republican votes for the mustachio'd clown.
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    This, on top of the shocking dereliction of duty by Beyonce, which happened on Obama's watch, should make him resign immediately.
    Typical of you to trivialise and dismiss anything at all that reflects negatively on Obama, no matter how significant or consequential.
    Defend the 8th Amendment against attack by those seeking to introduce taxpayer-funded abortion on demand in Ireland. http://prolifecampaign.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Illegal presidential appointments; illegal extra-judicial murders in Afghanistan and Pakistan; extension and deepening of the illegal Bush/Cheney practices on POWs, right to trial etc.

Change we can believe in.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tubbs View Post
    Illegal presidential appointments; illegal extra-judicial murders in Afghanistan and Pakistan; extension and deepening of the illegal Bush/Cheney practices on POWs, right to trial etc.

Change we can believe in.....
    Yea, if only the multi-millionaire tax cheat who wanted to launch a war with Iran had been elected instead.

Shame that that guy, who managed to chalk up some of the most egregious lies of any Presidential candidate ever, didn't get a chance to destroy America... I mean make it great again.
    You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw39tcyg7So&sns=em

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

keep howling at that moon skybaby
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lies View Post
    Yea, if only the multi-millionaire tax cheat who wanted to launch a war with Iran had been elected instead.

Shame that that guy, who managed to chalk up some of the most egregious lies of any Presidential candidate ever, didn't get a chance to destroy America... I mean make it great again.
    So we ignore Obama's incompetence, disastrous policies, and contempt for human rights ........ just because the other guy was worse?

That's a pretty pathetic point of view.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tubbs View Post
    So we ignore Obama's incompetence, disastrous policies, and contempt for human rights ........ just because the other guy was worse?

That's a pretty pathetic point of view.
    Yes, yes, I should vote for the worse candidate because he's...

Oh wait, only an idiot would vote for a worse candidate, intentionally.

Give me a better candidate and I'll vote for him/her.

But I'm not voting for a war mongering liar just because Obama is far from perfect.
    You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw39tcyg7So&sns=em

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But I'm not voting for a war mongering liar just because Obama is far from perfect.
    So you spurned the guy who might be a war mongering liar if he was elected ....... and voted for the guy who was a war mongering liar during his first term.

Interesting value system there.

Obama is the war-mongering liar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast