Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Anglo Irish Bank & INBS List of Depositors

Default Anglo Irish Bank & INBS List of Depositors

In the aftermath of the blanket bank guarantee the Irish government used taxpayer money (NTMA,ELA's etc ) to recapitalize the covered Irish banks. This move last but not least was made to protect depositors and creditors from any losses on principal and accrued interest. In February 2011, AIB has acquired the Anglo Irish deposits book of €7 billion and received another tranche of NAMA senior bonds with a nominal value of € 12 billion. Furthermore AIB acquired the Anglo Irish Bank Corporation (International) PLC in the Isle of Man with customer deposits of almost € 1.6 billion. We have learned a little about the Anglo Irish bondholders in recent year, but I think it's time to learn a little more about the so well looked after depositors as well.

Now here is a question for you if one had access to a list of Irish depositors at Anglo Irish Bank at the time of the guarantee (€51.5bn) and the recapitalization would it be legally sound to publish this list online? And if not, who would be allowed to access to this list of untouchable investors? Does government care to know who they are?
    Last edited by YouKnowWhatIMeanLike; 25th January 2013 at 04:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irrespective of the legality of publishing online it should be done so as a matter of public interest.
    And there are ways of putting it online and making sure no one knows where it came from....
    Economic Left/Right: -8
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.56
    http://politicalcompass.org/

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWhatIMeanLike View Post
    In the aftermath of the blanket bank guarantee the Irish government used taxpayer money (NTMA,ELA's etc ) to recapitalize the covered Irish banks. This move last but not least was made to protect depositors and creditors from any losses on principal and accrued interest. In February 2011, AIB has acquired the Anglo Irish deposits book of €7 billion and received another tranche of NAMA senior bonds with a nominal value of € 12 billion. Furthermore AIB acquired the Anglo Irish Bank Corporation (International) PLC in the Isle of Man with customer deposits of almost € 1.6 billion. We have learned a little about the Anglo Irish bondholders in recent year, but I think it's time to learn a little more about the so well looked after depositors as well.

Now here is a question for you if one had access to a list of Irish depositors at Anglo Irish Bank at the time of the guarantee and the recapitalization would it be legally sound to publish this list online? And if not, who would be allowed to access to this list of untouchable investors? Does government care to know who they are?
    An interesting question.
    Do you have such a list?

I have a conspiracy theory that some of the debtors of the banks - who's loans were transferred to NAMA - were also depositers/bondholders at these same banks.

Ethically/morally, the Irish citizen should be entitled to full transparency as to what made up both the debtor and creditor accounts at
    Anglo/IBRC and INBS.
    Both lenders were insolvent so they should not be defended in law, in my view particularly after being in receipt of huge transfers from the citizens of this country.

If I buy a round of drinks, I'd at least like to know the identity of the people I'm buying them for.
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWhatIMeanLike View Post
    In the aftermath of the blanket bank guarantee the Irish government used taxpayer money (NTMA,ELA's etc ) to recapitalize the covered Irish banks. This move last but not least was made to protect depositors and creditors from any losses on principal and accrued interest. In February 2011, AIB has acquired the Anglo Irish deposits book of 7 billion and received another tranche of NAMA senior bonds with a nominal value of 12 billion. Furthermore AIB acquired the Anglo Irish Bank Corporation (International) PLC in the Isle of Man with customer deposits of almost 1.6 billion. We have learned a little about the Anglo Irish bondholders in recent year, but I think it's time to learn a little more about the so well looked after depositors as well.

Now here is a question for you if one had access to a list of Irish depositors at Anglo Irish Bank at the time of the guarantee and the recapitalization would it be legally sound to publish this list online? And if not, who would be allowed to access to this list of untouchable investors? Does government care to know who they are?
    Depositors are not investors.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't see how this is anybody's business. Our elected government decided to cover them. If I invested something and it went belly up and then some government decided to pay me I'd take the money and run.

I see the argument that it 's taxpayers money but I don't see how it would make a blind bit of difference unless you think there's something criminal going on. Anyway, we should never have payed and the whole thing is a mess.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

No of course it wouldn't. If you were in receipt of such a list the appropriate thing would be to contact both the police and data protection commissioner and detail how you obtained it. You seem confused as to the difference between depositors and investors. If you meant investors then its probably a different conversation.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A lot of ordinary people had accounts with Anglo. They offered the best rate. Do you want a list down to the very bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by thegregster View Post
    A lot of ordinary people had accounts with Anglo. They offered the best rate. Do you want a list down to the very bottom?
    Did they ************************.

If there is such a list. Pass it over this direction and I'll ensure that it gets the attention it deserves.
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    Did they ************************.

If there is such a list. Pass it over this direction and I'll ensure that it gets the attention it deserves.
    You do realise that Anglo was open to ordinary deposit holders. Many people would have had deposits of less than 5,000euros with them.

Quote Originally Posted by thegregster View Post
    preferably yes, the deposits would have been wiped out if the Irish taxpayer had not taken on this debt. we would have a much better sovereign debt position. BTW how ordinary were these depositors? Anglo wasn't exactly a retail bank for the ordinary passer-by.

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast