Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are so many Irish people on disablity welfare?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why are so many Irish people on disablity welfare?

There are roughly 250,000 Irish people in receipt of disability or sickness benefit. The proportion of the population in receipt of disability allowance the most common disability benefit has been rising sharply over the last decade. The numbers in receipt of it now exceed 100,000 people.

We also have the lowest level of employment amongst people with disabilities of all 27 EU member states.

What's going on? Are Irish people more prone to disability? Or are people scamming the system? Of course, it can suit governing parties to massage the unemployment figures by shoving some people on to disability benefits.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if more than a few GPs were happy to obligingly fill in the forms declaring a perfectly but workshy person as being disabled.

I think the Dutch had a problem with this a few years ago. I must look to see what they did - if anything.

Disability benefit expansion adds to workless underclass - The Irish Times - Fri, Jan 25, 2013

Politics.ie Member Crazy horse 6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know of one case of a grown man on disability who has'nt worked since the day he left school (he 39 years old) and goes to the gym three or four times a week. At a guess i'd say this practice is widespread.

Boggle

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy horse 6 View Post
    I know of one case of a grown man on disability who has'nt worked since the day he left school (he 39 years old) and goes to the gym three or four times a week. At a guess i'd say this practice is widespread.
    He may have mental issues such as depression.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's worse than dole cheating. At least dole cheaters do some work.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
    He may have mental issues such as depression.
    For over 20 years??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe some of them are sick. While others are sick of working.
    War doesn't work. Give peace a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's a fellow digging some sort of trench with a pick and shovel outside my window. He's on disability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

is he the same guy who eats puppies brains? or the guy who has 5 foreign holidays a year? I know a case of a grown group of bankers who bankrupted a country.

anyway, he can only get disability if it is certified by a medical prcatitioner- if you have concerns as expressed have you not reported them/
    Disability and illness

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx
    Pity the nation divided into into fragments, each fragment deeming itself a nation - Khalil Gibran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iphonista View Post
    For over 20 years??
    heard he was your neighbour....
    Pity the nation divided into into fragments, each fragment deeming itself a nation - Khalil Gibran

Boggle

Quote Originally Posted by Iphonista View Post
    For over 20 years??
    I don't know. Bit hard to judge based on a 3rd hand "guy I know" story which may or may not be influenced by how the originator felt about the guy but I'd imagine you need to go through a doctor to get illness benefit so odds are he is genuine.

UNless there is anyone on here who has or who knows someone who has fraudulently been able to claim the allowance.

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast