Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SDLP choose Patsy McGlone to stand against SF's Francie Molloy in Mid-Ulster.

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default SDLP choose Patsy McGlone to stand against SF's Francie Molloy in Mid-Ulster.

SDLP Mid-Ulster MLA Patsy McGlone has been selected as the party’s candidate for the Mid-Ulster Westminster by-election. He said in Cookstown last night:

“As a proud Constitutional Irish Republican, and one who stands for an Ireland united in accommodation and respect, I will not run away from representing Mid-Ulster where and when I have to'.

McGlone is also MLA for Mid-Ulster, indeed his electioneering team were targeted by loyalists only two years ago when he was out canvassing. Their electioneering car was petrol bombed by loyalists in Coagh. McGlone is also former deputy leader of the SDLP and actually stood against the bold Margo Richtie in 2011, attempting to become leader of the party.

SDLP boss, McDonnell said of McGlone and the SDLP, 'Now, Patsy offers Mid Ulster a New Deal – taking the battle to Westminster to fight for control of our own economic destiny so we can deliver sustainable jobs, grow the local private sector, protect public services and, for the first time in over 15 years, promising a strong Irish voice as MP for Mid-Ulster''.

He'll be up against veretan republican who survived a SF suspension in 2005 after he disagreed with the party leadership over the reduction of the number of district councils. Molloy who is currently deputy speaker of the Assembly, was director of operations for Vol. Bobby Sands when he won the Fermanagh and South Tyrone seat in 1981. After the death of Sands, Molloy did the same role for Owen Carron, who also won the seat.

Mid Ulster will elect a republican MP. It will probably be Francie Molloy, but does the SDLP have a trick up its sleeve or will this be an election of consolidation of votes to build upon?

Unionist Willie Frazer is also rumoured to be standing for the seat.

McGlone selected by SDLP for Mid Ulster by-election - Latest - Belfast Newsletter
    Last edited by theloner; 25th January 2013 at 01:20 PM.
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

What is the difference between director of operations and election agent?

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Not sure. Read that term in the Tele (I think).
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theloner View Post
    Not sure. Read that term in the Tele (I think).
    Yep - Not really important in itself - I just remember that Carron was Sands' election agent and presumed that was the same as director of operations.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep - Not really important in itself - I just remember that Carron was Sands' election agent and presumed that was the same as director of operations.
    D.o.E. sounds far grander.

Thats probably the difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good luck to him. I'm sure that constituency does not need another absentee MP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would assume Logistics vs. Promotion.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    Good luck to him. I'm sure that constituency does not need another absentee MP
    It makes absolutely no difference. An MP at Westminster from either the SDLP or Sinn Féin will not be listened to, unless in the event of a hung parliament, which is resolutely not the case now.

NI MPs have zero impact or influence at Westminster, unless under very specific circumstances. Their power is even less than Ireland's MEPs in Brussels (at least they are part of bigger, Europe-wide parties). At least with local rule, some sort of power can be exercised, under direct rule, NI politicians had as much influence as North Dakota had before they acceded to statehood.

Johnny Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Glaucon View Post
    It makes absolutely no difference. An MP at Westminster from either the SDLP or Sinn Féin will not be listened to, unless in the event of a hung parliament, which is resolutely not the case now.

NI MPs have zero impact or influence at Westminster, unless under very specific circumstances. Their power is even less than Ireland's MEPs in Brussels (at least they are part of bigger, Europe-wide parties). At least with local rule, some sort of power can be exercised, under direct rule, NI politicians had as much influence as North Dakota had before they acceded to statehood.
    Not true. John Hume had more influence there than any unionist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    Not true. John Hume had more influence there than any unionist.

Concur sir, but it will take a lot more than 'influence' to have any impact on the situation in the sick counties at this moment in time.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast