Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Catalan Parliament Approves Declaration Of Sovereignty

Default Catalan Parliament Approves Declaration Of Sovereignty

The Catalan parliament has approved a "declaration of sovereignty" and Madrid is preponderantly p*ssed. The Catalan independence movement is a political movement, which supports the independence of Catalonia, the Catalan countries from Spain and France.

looks like one of the side effects of the EU are stronger regional independence movements. I would not be surprised to see a Catalan application to join the EU after a successful referendum on independence in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWhatIMeanLike View Post
    The Catalan parliament has approved a "declaration of sovereignty" and Madrid is preponderantly p*ssed. The Catalan independence movement is a political movement, which supports the independence of Catalonia, the Catalan countries from Spain and France.

looks like one of the side effects of the EU are stronger regional independence movements. I would not be surprised to see a Catalan application to join the EU after a successful referendum on independence in 2014.
    I wouldn't be so sure about a succeesful referendum.

The Spanish football authorities have already said that they will not allow Barcelona or any other Catalan team into the Spanish league. Barcelona FC is one of the main outlets of Catalan culture. It may sound like a trivial matter but it isn't to alot of Catalans.

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As this so-called independence is really a form of partition , what will happen to the non-Catalan population ?
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    As this so-called independence is really a form of partition , what will happen to the non-Catalan population ?
    Surely they could remain? Anyway, I don't see Catalunya voting for outright independence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWhatIMeanLike View Post

A further side effect would be an EU rejection and them having to deal with the big bad world with their own currency. The first effect of it would be the re-denomination of all their debt and then they'd have to refinance it.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mentalist Clientelist View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about a succeesful referendum.

The Spanish football authorities have already said that they will not allow Barcelona or any other Catalan team into the Spanish league. Barcelona FC is one of the main outlets of Catalan culture. It may sound like a trivial matter but it isn't to alot of Catalans.
    It would go to court and barca and espanyol would win. There's multiple cases (most notably Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham) where teams created and given entry to a league prior to their country having an FA were allowed to remain in that league. The prospects of ejecting them would seem slim.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

A small step on what will be a long road to a more truly federal Spain. The motion passed yesterday has no legal force, it's a purely political move. It wasn't a declaration of sovereignty, but a declaration for an enquiry or consultation on sovereignty. The next step will be to put forward legislation to give any such consultation a statutory basis, perhaps next week.

The interesting thing is that the momentum towards a more loose-knit Spain is happening under a distinctly right-wing government. That distant humming sound is Franco.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone see Peter Sutherland speaking from Davos on Newsnight last night?

The arrogance of that pr!ck knows no end...

It looks like gobsh!tes like Peter are gonna be foisted on the British electorate now...

Apparently and according to Peter, the people of Europe are fine with all sorts of further integration and progressing towards an 'undefined destination' as he called it...

Complete f***wit... imo...

As for Catalonia... and Scotland... and Britain... I guess the harder the Eurocrats try and subsume us all into their USE, the more pockets of discontent and people vying to establish their distinct identity and place in this increasingly homogenous world will emerge...

Politics.ie Member friendlyfire's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    It would go to court and barca and espanyol would win. There's multiple cases (most notably Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham) where teams created and given entry to a league prior to their country having an FA were allowed to remain in that league. The prospects of ejecting them would seem slim.
    So Charlie Green was right about his tribute club, they can join La liga or the English Premier league....and I though he was just waffling
    Stupidity is far more fascinating than intelligence, after all intelligence has it's limits.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    Anyone see Peter Sutherland speaking from Davos on Newsnight last night?

The arrogance of that pr!ck knows no end...

It looks like gobsh!tes like Peter are gonna be foisted on the British electorate now...

Apparently and according to Peter, the people of Europe are fine with all sorts of further integration and progressing towards an 'undefined destination' as he called it...

Complete f***wit... imo...

As for Catalonia... and Scotland... and Britain... I guess the harder the Eurocrats try and subsume us all into their USE, the more pockets of discontent and people vying to establish their distinct identity and place in this increasingly homogenous world will increase...
    Scotland and Cataluņa will both want in to the EU. If Cameron's referendum goes ahead it will give momentum to the Scottish Independence movement.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast