Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Australia - rental cost updates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Australia - rental cost updates

Reading the Ozzi News I see the cost of rental units in Perth is rising steadily causing problems for those looking to rent. Seemingly renters are offering over the asking price to secure a lease. House rents up by almost five per cent in the December 2012 quarter to $470 - Euro 370pw and apartments up 2.6% to $400 - Euro 315pw.

So I thought that if there were pie members home / abroad they may like to update the thread with any useful information regarding costs of living down under. Also might give us an insight into some stories from down under from their perspective. Renters... Compared to renting a house at home, you have to give all your records your visa, your passport, your wage slips and your driving licence. I must have given them six or seven points of identification.

I know it's Perth which we always knew as millionaire city, but it sure is'nt cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I spent some time there during the year and was amazed at the property boom underway.

Ther mother of all property crashes could be coming their way.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
    Reading the Ozzi News I see the cost of rental units in Perth is rising steadily causing problems for those looking to rent. Seemingly renters are offering over the asking price to secure a lease. House rents up by almost five per cent in the December 2012 quarter to $470 - Euro 370pw and apartments up 2.6% to $400 - Euro 315pw.

So I thought that if there were pie members home / abroad they may like to update the thread with any useful information regarding costs of living down under. Also might give us an insight into some stories from down under from their perspective. Renters... “Compared to renting a house at home, you have to give all your records – your visa, your passport, your wage slips and your driving licence. I must have given them six or seven points of identification.”

I know it's Perth which we always knew as millionaire city, but it sure is'nt cheap.
    Have they had their big bust yet...no? Sounds like us in 2005 with all the Polish etc kicking each other to death for a place and then...kaboom, the housing crash...no more Poles, no more rents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perth is about 25% - 30% more expensive than the rest of Australia
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Melbourne not cheap either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My nephew is working in construction over there. Don't think he ever held a shovel in his hand before. One day he's a bricklayer then a carpenter, labourer and so on. He's currently a welder. It reminds me so much of here during the ponzi frenzy. I'd hate to buy a house him and his mates have been working on. I think it will all end in tears much like here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The politicians over there appear to be a little smarter than ours over here though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mickterry View Post
    The politicians over there appear to be a little smarter than ours over here though
    Not by a long shot. The Mining tax has raised no revenue in first three months, they are just as corrupt, and the Unions dominate government.
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mickterry View Post
    Hubris Alert.

Perth without mining has nothing going for it. Phenomenally arid and barren. Mate lives out there for the past 6 years and the remoteness would make you question it's ability to sustain a boom.

Regarding their politicians, any credit fuelled boom makes politicians look competent, just like a credit card can make you feel rich.

We know a song about that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
    Euro 315pw.
    Ouch.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast