Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the "Unionist Forum" encourage cooperation between nationalist parties? Changing the official name of Derry for example?

Default Will the "Unionist Forum" encourage cooperation between nationalist parties? Changing the official name of Derry for example?

Will the "Unionist Forum" encourage cooperation between nationalist parties? Changing the official name of Derry for example?

What do ye think? I can understand unionists wanting to discuss the issues that affect their community! However I think this is just going serve as a tool to seperate the political division further! Obviously Sinn Féins recent calls for a border poll could also cause divisions! So this is not just a dig at unionists.

I just put in the Derry name change example because people won't shut up about it in a thread that was supposed to discuss "what if an election was called today"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Éamonn an Chnoic View Post
    Will the "Unionist Forum" encourage cooperation between nationalist parties? Changing the official name of Derry for example?

What do ye think? I can understand unionists wanting to discuss the issues that affect their community! However I think this is just going serve as a tool to seperate the political division further! Obviously Sinn Féins recent calls for a border poll could also cause divisions! So this is not just a dig at unionists.

I just put in the Derry name change example because people won't shut up about it in a thread that was supposed to discuss "what if an election was called today"
    The Catholic parties could try a legal challenge against the 12 July being a public holiday while 15th August is not. Or they could try a legal challenge under the Human Rights Act against the Protestant churches controlling property of the State - i.e. State-owned schools.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Éamonn an Chnoic View Post

Will the Unionist Forum encourage cooperation with not just nationalists but outside parties ... I don't know, people like Mike Nesbitt have claimed this is the next official phase in this process, at the moment I see them taking a laissez-faire attitude to the parties and the non-Unionists reciprocating. Derry name change won't be considered an option, even if Derry City Council put the Union flag up 365 days a year in exchange for it.

I can only really draw parallels with the new Ireland forum, a precursor to both Hume Adams and the Forum talks, the main priority in this case was achieving the peace process. The problem with this forum is that Peter Robinson's agenda will be the so called "normalisation process", however it does so under the banner of being at war with the Alliance Party and the nationalist parties. This is essentially a zero-sum game and perhaps an affront to liberal democracy.

Sinn Féin calling for a border poll I don't see as a divisive matter, It's not going to cause any divisions that are not already there, and indeed it may give Unionism a justification of their existance, indeed Arlene Foster eagerness to renew the vows might show that perhaps both sides are showing maturity on the issue

A border poll might make the situation better, nationalism would have to sell a positive and modern concept of Irish unity, unionism a positive and modern concept of keeping the union with Britian and the Alliance and the rest in the centreground would sell the positives of having a choice. You know rather than fighting on the basis of tribal fears and paranoias.

Politics.ie Member Evergreenfinch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenshane4 View Post
    The Catholic parties could try a legal challenge against the 12 July being a public holiday while 15th August is not. Or they could try a legal challenge under the Human Rights Act against the Protestant churches controlling property of the State - i.e. State-owned schools.
    Protestant church owned schools? Name one.

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

the pan nationalist front already cooperate in their pursuit of the racist cultural war...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    the pan nationalist front already cooperate in their pursuit of the racist cultural war...
    Would you ask them to up your meds?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The belief that British culture is really under major threat in Ireland is rather laughable in my opinion, Irish people watch and play British sports, watch British television programs, listen to British music, study British history, read British books some even take British titles and some join the loyal orders and as a nation use the Union flag for special occasions like ceremonial visits like the visit of the Queen.

The only ones destroying British culture are those besmirching their own cultural identity by mindless violence and property damage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vivabrigada View Post
    Would you ask them to up your meds?
    typical oppression measures trying to drug the voice of reason...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by physicist View Post
    The belief that British culture is really under major threat in Ireland is rather laughable in my opinion, Irish people watch and play British sports, watch British television programs, listen to British music, study British history, read British books some even take British titles and some join the loyal orders and as a nation use the Union flag for special occasions like ceremonial visits like the visit of the Queen.

The only ones destroying British culture are those besmirching their own cultural identity by violence and property damage.
    fascist...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

fascist...
    A strange interpretation of my opinion, but I didn't exactly force it upon you. Perhaps the debate should be about Northern Irish culture, or Unionist culture, or even Nationalist culture ... but in my opinion the mainstream cultures of the United Kingdom, cultures which bring a lot of money into the UK are not under threat in Ireland or anywhere in Europe for that matter.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast