Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Discrimination against the GAA .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Discrimination against the GAA .

Interesting Feature in today's Irish News about the Rates Rebate Scandal available to everybody it seems except the GAA . A proposal presented to Moyle Council in the Glens of Antrim could see the District hand back ‘Rate Monies’ to GAA Clubs in the area – essentially awarding them rates exemption status via the back door. The move would circumvent rules forcing GAA Clubs to continue paying property rates while Orange Halls remain exempt .This proposal is the brainchild of Independent Councillor Padraig Mc Shane and it has the potential to set a precedent that would allow local authorities throughout the North to payback rates to GAA Clubs in any District. I wonder why the shinners and the SDLP dropped the ball on this one ? and why it was left to a local Independent Councilor to highlight the issue .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If this were to happen ,every sports club in the country will be standing with their hand out as well.

Never going to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
    Interesting Feature in today's Irish News about the Rates Rebate Scandal available to everybody it seems except the GAA . A proposal presented to Moyle Council in the Glens of Antrim could see the District hand back ‘Rate Monies’ to GAA Clubs in the area – essentially awarding them rates exemption status via the back door. The move would circumvent rules forcing GAA Clubs to continue paying property rates while Orange Halls remain exempt .This proposal is the brainchild of Independent Councillor Padraig Mc Shane and it has the potential to set a precedent that would allow local authorities throughout the North to payback rates to GAA Clubs in any District. I wonder why the shinners and the SDLP dropped the ball on this one ? and why it was left to a local Independent Councilor to highlight the issue .
    The GAA clubs generate large amounts of money from their matches. Why should they be exempt from rates and why is that blatantly sectarian councillor's idea even being entertained?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Covenanter View Post
    The GAA clubs generate large amounts of money from their matches. Why should they be exempt from rates and why is that blatantly sectarian councillor's idea even being entertained?
    I can see the members of Royal Portrush counting the rebate already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DT123 View Post
    I can see the members of Royal Portrush counting the rebate already.
    Some real mongs manage to get themselves elected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree. Everyone should pay their way - including the Orange Order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcella View Post
    The Orange Order does not generate the same amount of money that the GAA does though I am glad to see you equating the two. Many CNRs baulk at that.

Johnny Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Marcella View Post
    And of course all the churches. I'm assuming they don't, and if I'm correct, they do tremenduous harm in society already and certainly shouldn't be rewarded for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Orange Order does not generate the same amount of money that the GAA does though I am glad to see you equating the two. Many CNRs baulk at that.
    I'm equating the GAA with everyone else when it comes to paying their fair dues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The problem is Orange Halls are considered religious grounds and exempt under the church ruling.

I don't agree and think all organizations that bring in money should be open to being taxed.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast