Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Hygiene Ratings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Food Hygiene Ratings

I have just been watching the Food Inspectors programme on BBC1 and one of the items that struck me that we would do well to adopt over here is the Food Hygiene Ratings System. All premises selling food from butchers, shops to restaurants are given a rating from 0 to 5, 0 being a place you get food for your enemies to a 5 being very good.

It is a good system and a good way to get food businesses to improve their standards.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Suspect the 'food mafia' won't allow it happen. I think they blocked the proposal for a simple traffic light system to show Low, Medium or High salt and fat levels in food.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    Suspect the 'food mafia' won't allow it happen. I think they blocked the proposal for a simple traffic light system to show Low, Medium or High salt and fat levels in food.
    That proposal was to go on food packets, I can understand their objections as some good foods would come across as unhealthy such as cheese and fruit juices.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post
    That proposal was to go on food packets, I can understand their objections as some good foods would come across as unhealthy such as cheese and fruit juices.
    Why would 'salt level' or 'fat level' show cheese and fruit juice as unhealthy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    Why would 'salt level' or 'fat level' show cheese and fruit juice as unhealthy?
    Too much fat in cheese same with butter, too much sugar in fruit juices. Foods like these would show up as being unhealthy! But all of this is off topic. Would you like to see food premises with food hygiene rating?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't you know no government organization in Ireland is there for the benefit of Joe Public. The is how it works:

Board is setup after some scandal or other.

Board gets offices in prestige building.

Board employes lots of people, many of whom are 'active in the community' wink wink

Board charges whatever special interest group it 'regulates' a ridiculous fee to register.

Year one board employees try to do their job and regulate some of the big players in the industry.

Big players get on Minster and local TDs.

Board chairman gets bollicking from Minister. Wears green jersey to work everyday after that.

Board employs realise it is all for show and just harass some of the small players in the industry for appearances sake.

Minister and TDs get nice donation and mention in papers as being 'pro-jobs'.

Major scandal erupts, Joe Public goes broke, gets poisoned or some other horrible outcome.

Board chairman gets fired by Minister and employees are told to work harder.

Minister allocates tons of taxpayers money, on top of registration fees, to help with the workload.

Voters think Minister is man of action and he tops the poll

Repeat ad nauseum....
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManOfReason View Post
    Don't you know no government organization in Ireland is there for the benefit of Joe Public. The is how it works:

Board is setup after some scandal or other.

Board gets offices in prestige building.

Board employes lots of people, many of whom are 'active in the community' wink wink

Board charges whatever special interest group it 'regulates' a ridiculous fee to register.

Year one board employees try to do their job and regulate some of the big players in the industry.

Big players get on Minster and local TDs.

Board chairman gets bollicking from Minister. Wears green jersey to work everyday after that.

Board employs realise it is all for show and just harass some of the small players in the industry for appearances sake.

Minister and TDs get nice donation and mention in papers as being 'pro-jobs'.

Major scandal erupts, Joe Public goes broke, gets poisoned or some other horrible outcome.

Board chairman gets fired by Minister and employees are told to work harder.

Minister allocates tons of taxpayers money, on top of registration fees, to help with the workload.

Voters think Minister is man of action and he tops the poll

Repeat ad nauseum....
    Clearly this has not happened with the FSAI and horsegate!

Politics.ie Member Cabbage/Turnip's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trust me if you have ever lived in the uk the hygiene rating is a joke. Living in Essex for a year nearly I have eaten in many different places i would pay no heed to the ratings.the standards we have here in Ireland is very very high compare to other countries from what I have seen.

It will just create another quango leave quality be what keeps a restraunt open and don't let people scrape past by reaching bare minimums just to claim a rating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage/Turnip View Post
    Trust me if you have ever lived in the uk the hygiene rating is a joke. Living in Essex for a year nearly I have eaten in many different places i would pay no heed to the ratings.the standards we have here in Ireland is very very high compare to other countries from what I have seen.

It will just create another quango leave quality be what keeps a restraunt open and don't let people scrape past by reaching bare minimums just to claim a rating.
    If you get a chance have a look at the programme and see the inspectors in action, from what I saw you earn your 5 rating and at least it would easy to identify the places no better than a dirty public toilet!

Politics.ie Member Cabbage/Turnip's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post
    If you get a chance have a look at the programme and see the inspectors in action, from what I saw you earn your 5 rating and at least it would easy to identify the places no better than a dirty public toilet!
    I am not making this up But in the town of Chelmsford there is a fast food restraunt in a little village of molsham it was a 3 star rting they cooked there burgers in a toaster. The ratings is a farce it's used to give the public confidence but in no way is it certain you will get quality. I was violently ill that night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast