Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: FF Senator: I won't choose taxis driven by foreigners

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default FF Senator: I won't choose taxis driven by foreigners

Fianna Fáil Senator Paschal Mooney today stated that he would choose an Irish taxi driver over a foreigner, because non-Irish drivers don't know where they are going.

I’ve been in taxis and I have to say, and I’m not in any way being discriminatory here, but it’s nearly always non-nationals. And it’s got to the point where, quite frankly, and I make no apologies for it, that I will now go to a local taxi driver in preference to somebody who’s a non-national- an obvious non-national, and that has nothing to do with the colour of their skin or anything of that nature.

I'd love to hear how the senator can identify 'obvious' non-nationals without reference to skin colour.

Mooney subsequently withdrew the comments, saying that they had been 'misinterpreted'.

Here's the thing: the Senator's choice of language was crass in the extreme. But I've experienced a number of occasions where, ahem, obviously non Irish drivers haven't known where they were going, or have gone a route that involves more major roads but which is less direct. So maybe there is a problem with a lack of basic road knowledge amongst some drivers.

On the other hand, at least the furriners don't bore the ear of you about how this is their first fair of the evening, and that they had to wait four hours to get it...

I won

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has he ever heard of SatNav? (I assume he only practices this discriminatory practice on taxis on his personal time rather than ones on business for which he may be reimbursed by the taxpayer).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Personally, I don't hesitate to tell taxi drivers the route I want them to take. I'd like to go to Place X and I think the best route is this way. If I see they are going a route I don't think is best (e.g. if they indicate), I'll say that I think it would be better if they went the way I think is best. They usually don't argue, but might advise of traffic issues on the route I want them to take...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    Fianna Fáil Senator Paschal Mooney today stated that he would choose an Irish taxi driver over a foreigner, because non-Irish drivers don't know where they are going.

I'd love to hear how the senator can identify 'obvious' non-nationals without reference to skin colour.

Mooney subsequently withdrew the comments, saying that they had been 'misinterpreted'.

Here's the thing: the Senator's choice of language was crass in the extreme. But I've experienced a number of occasions where, ahem, obviously non Irish drivers haven't known where they were going, or have gone a route that involves more major roads but which is less direct. So maybe there is a problem with a lack of basic road knowledge amongst some drivers.

On the other hand, at least the furriners don't bore the ear of you about how this is their first fair of the evening, and that they had to wait four hours to get it...

I won

Whats the big deal. I don't get into non Irish taxis either. Mostly because they are rarely road worthy or clean. QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ the yer a wacist brigade

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The sooner we abolish the Senate and take the soap box away from nasty little troglodytes like Mooney and his ilk the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FF are making a habit of making racist remarks.....Didnt a cllr say something nasty about travellers lately ?......He should resign .
    IRELAND FIRST

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cillian32 View Post
    FF are making a habit of making racist remarks.....Didnt a cllr say something nasty about travellers lately ?......He should resign .
    Freedom of Speech.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Irish View Post
    Whats the big deal. I don't get into non Irish taxis either. Mostly because they are rarely road worthy or clean. QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ the yer a wacist brigade
    He didnt say anything about bad cars or dirty cars ......How can he tell if a person is a non national by just looking in the window of a car?.......He cant.....So hes a RACIST.
    IRELAND FIRST

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder what Healy Rae has to say on the topic ?
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A mate of mine got a taxi last year driven by an African lad. The driver told my mate that his (the drivers) wife was cheating on him. He knew this because he had recorded her having sex with her lover with a machine he put under the bed. He then proceeded to play the recording to my mate while making choice comments about his Mrs.

Anyway, that's by-the-by. My experience of African taxi drivers is that they are polite and efficient and don't fleece you anymore than the locals.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast